Nursing tool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
Do you guys prefer the eyedropper or syringe for when it comes to nursing kits? Or is there something else out there that makes the job easier?

1 cc insulin syringe.

Have several around as they dry out and become hard to pull back. I have also taken them apart when this has happened and applied liquid PAM spray with my finger around the plunger. However that doesn't work but a couple times.

I prefer the 1cc syringe, I bulk order them from Amazon that way I always have them on hand for kits and medicines as the ones the vets give you wear out quickly if you are handfeeding or giving meds long term.

Plastic pipette as I find them incredibly easy to control - I use a 0.5ml with very small kits & then increase to 1ml.

BL_pipette.png

The pipettes look like they work well. Don't know where I'd find them though. I have tried using a syringe many times but always go back to an eye dropper. Some kits are easier to feed with a curved tip eye dropper.

While I have never hand fed a kit, I have hand fed baby rats and squirrels and I agree completely with Dawn and the pipettes. I have used an eye dropper, 1cc syringe and the pipette and they always seem to be able to nurse better from the pipettes.

Thanks for all the input! So it seems I'm torn between 1cc insulin syringes and plastic pipettes...

How do you clean a pipette and get all the milk out? I use syringes over and over again until they finally start to stick, and even then, that only really affects the teeny babies, not the older ones.

Usually you can suck up hot soapy water, shake it in the bulb the squeeze the bulb out to empty the pipette. I usually do this until it looks clean.

I use syringes with the little tiny nipples from a rabbit website (don't remember which) that sells them for baby rabbits and squirrels. You slip the nipple on the tip of the syringe. I got quite a lot of them and when the nipples get chewed I replace with a new one. That it is easy to clean the syringe and nipple. When the syringe get difficult to use I then start using another. You can get the 1 CC syringes from KV VET animal supplies. They have the needles on them but you just take them off and throw away

Barb-

Becareful with throwing the needles away. Needles/sharps should go in a sharp container and dispose of properly. You can get syringes without needles attached. I usually get the 3 ml dispensing syringe.

Jessica

How do you clean a pipette and get all the milk out?
I use hot water flushes & then sterilise in Milton (baby bottle sterilisation fluid). I do the same with mouse bottles if I get the kits on to drinking milk from a bottle.

While I have never hand fed a kit, I have hand fed baby rats and squirrels and I agree completely with Dawn and the pipettes. I have used an eye dropper, 1cc syringe and the pipette and they always seem to be able to nurse better from the pipettes.

Claire! I meant Claire! I have no idea why in the world I said Dawn, but I didn't notice until just now. Sorry about that!

Latest posts

Back