Number of females in herd

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many females

• 0-12

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • 13-24

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 25-48

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 49-84

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 85-119

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • 120+

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Chinmandan

I was just wondering, how many people do we have out there that are breeding enough animals to be an aggressive competator for breeder points at your nearest Empress or MCBA Show.

Last edited:
We have 21 breeding females and are holding back 6 females to see how they do at the show. If they do well they will be put into breeding.

We have 750 females in breeding. I would think there are very few on this board that would have enough top show animals to compete at the top for MCBA or ECBC top breeder awards. How many have 20 mutes or 20 standards to show a full string and compete for ECBC top breeder awards or for that matter 30 plus in combination to compete for MCBA's master breeder award? Alot of the bigger sized ranchs have gone by the wayside over the years and either are not showing anymore or have left the industry.

Right now I have 22 females in breeding - by the end of next year I plan to have 50, but it all depends on finances. I can only wish that I had enough chins to compete with larger ranchers, but when you don't have much to choose from, it can be a little difficult.

I certainly don't have enough. At any given time I only have a few girls in breeding, despite averaging between 25-30 animals for the past couple of years.

The most I've had in breeding is 8, usually less than that. I will be expanding within the year, but having a full show string is a long ways off.

Breeding Females

We have right now 87 breeding females (M&C Chins 60 CRL Chins 27). We had more last year, but with Chelsea in her 3rd of College and 2nd year in nurseing she has less time so she decided to cut back from 13 runs to only 9.

14 breeding females...the least we've had in YEARS...decided to downsize for a few reasons (mainly having two infants in the house now)

THAT said, we, along with several other small breeders that I know of probably COULD compete if we tried hard enough. I say this confidently because most of our offspring each year are of a single "color" Usually it is gray...I'd say, in an average year we produce 15-25grays. NOW, if we wanted the hassle of holding them all over to show and such...I feel confident that we'd compete. We've (thus far) never taken lower than a second place and while we have not competed outside of the Atlantic Chapter show (which I feel is a very competitive show usually) some of our animals have been shown in other shows usually taking first or better. SO, I guess my point is that if a smaller breeder isn't just breeding fifty different colors...and their quality is consistently good...

Not to take this off topic but does anyone know who the "big breeders" are these days? The ones who ARE competing?

I don't have the numbers to compete, much as I'd like to. I just strive to do the very best with those that I have & focus on driving the quality as high as I can. The competitor in me would love to have a full show string to go head-to-head with you, Randy! ;)

I have a whopping 7 females in breeding, hoping to add up to 3 more in the near future.
Can't go for breeder award but that doesn't stop me from getting a standard female on the final table next to Shoots at Natl's! :cheer2: Which is trully good enough for me right now!

Dan,

What exactly are you looking for here?
aggressive competator for breeder points at your nearest Empress or MCBA Show.
I ask because to me, there is a BIG difference between competing for a section breeders award that only requires a minimum of 5 animals at a MCBA show(and in many mutes if you have 5 you will have as many as any) and competing for a Master Breeders Award with requirements already pointed out by Jags.

Not to go too far off topic, but I still feel the solution for the future is to base breeders awards on Average of your top 5. It does not penalize the large breeders who are still around for bringing a full string like a straight average could, but it also does not penalize smaller breeders for simply not having mass quantities of animals like a point total does.

Yep! I was asking about the whole string of 20 thing. Both Millers and Bradfords proved that you dont need more than 100 females to put together a string of 20 standards that place top at the national show. To get 20 of both is a little trickier. I'm not there yet but Im working toward it and I was wondering who else had the same goals.....

I dont like the whole string of 5 thing. The show would depend way more on luck than actual average quality.

I have about 60 females in breeding, but that's standards and mutes. I THINK in the future I could possibly bring a string of 20 standards. Not sure I'd get enough good mutes at this rate. I did show a total of 21 animals at our Oct show - but that was both stds and mutes. I did have 12 or 13 standards this time though, so the potential is there if the quality is. lol

Not to go too far off topic, but I still feel the solution for the future is to base breeders awards on Average of your top 5. It does not penalize the large breeders who are still around for bringing a full string like a straight average could, but it also does not penalize smaller breeders for simply not having mass quantities of animals like a point total does.

Hum, this caught my attention! Dan, elaborate on your "luck" concern with this.

Wendy,
When you have 20 animals you get a wider spectrum of what kind of quality a person is breeding.

Latest posts

Back