Not thrilled with your pet anymore? Just put it outside!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
So I'm sitting here at my desk, and this guy that works in another department comes by who I haven't seen in awhile. He's always asked lots of questions about the chins, and today was no exception (I have pics of them in my cubicle).

To make a long story short, we got onto the topic of "getting rid of" pets and he said he thinks it's ok to "get rid" of pets once the "thrill" is gone. Maybe you're wondering how he thinks a pet should be "gotten rid of"? Just put it outside, of course! When I (respectfully....he is a co-worker after all) told him that it's not ok to "get rid" of pets because you're bored with them and that domesticated animals can't survive on their own outside (maybe with the exception of dogs and cats?) he told me I "don't watch enough Animal Planet". Animals have instincts they know how to survive, duh.

SERIOUSLY? sdfjhsghsbhshbjsdhdfjkgj RAWWWWWWWWWR!!!!!

I know this topic has been brought up before, but I just needed to vent. :wacko:

Last edited:
What a doofus.

Next time, tell him he better thank his lucky stars that his mom didn't just "leave him outside" when she got tired of him!

:banghead:

Total tool Shayna. You know when Bobo escaped outside I asked if she would survive and I was told quite bluntly no--it was August and I was informed if the heat and humidity had not killed her, then surely she would have been caught by a fox or hawk. I'm glad she was found and returned to me, but I never for one minute believe any animals I own let go would survive--Baxter is a cat and there is no way he would survive without me giving him loves and attention and letting him sleep in my nice soft bed.

What a doofus.

Next time, tell him he better thank his lucky stars that his mom didn't just "leave him outside" when she got tired of him!

:banghead:

Hahahaha! I love it!

You know, I know there are people out there that think like this. Not everyone respects animals. But it's hard when you're confronted with it head on. I don't usually have to deal with people like this (with the exception of my brother who is the reason I got into chinchillas in the first place....long story!) and it's just a sad reminder to me that there are people like this.

Today was not so bad, as far as Mondays go, until he showed up!

Last edited:
since we are part of the animal kingdom, maybe you should offer him a one way trip to amazone forests. See how his instincts kick in. LOL!
Silly man doesn't think!

I wish I knew this information sooner!! I could have saved myself years of cat allergies!!

And I'm assuming that if I want another pet, I can just take one from outside as well, correct? It's like those "take a penny, leave a penny" jars, yes?

Hmm, what a great idea. Let me just put the chihuahua outside, I'm sure he'll know how to navigate the snow. He has instincts, duh!

</sarcasm>

I think I just hate people.

He's not a pet owner, is he? I think of my pets as family, and I would never just stick family outside because "I'm sick of them." Trust me- I have 2 brothers and a sister, and there are plenty of times when I'm sick of them! That's animal cruelty.

What a jack- you know what :p

Speaking of having your chins at your cubicle- I have mine as my desktop and screensaver. LOL!

ugh, yet another imbecile thoroughly sodden with today's 'disposable society' attitude. if i'd been in your shoes...... (content removed due to the lack of my brain to mouth filter sometimes).

in many states that is against the law. In NJ if caught, a person could be heavily fine and forbidden to own another animal. About a year ago some jerk let a rabbit out the door (he didn't want it anymore) He was caught and fined $500 and told he could not own another animal. If he was caught doing so he would be put in jail

I wish his Mother had left him outside, lol
"Pictures him toddling around being raised by cats"

This is a HILARIOUS mental image!

since we are part of the animal kingdom, maybe you should offer him a one way trip to amazone forests. See how his instincts kick in. LOL!
Silly man doesn't think!

I would have told him he was wasteful and should have ate them.

I will have to remember these things for the next time I run into one of these kinds of people. Thank you. This forum is always such a wealth of information! hehe

He's not a pet owner, is he? I think of my pets as family, and I would never just stick family outside because "I'm sick of them." Trust me- I have 2 brothers and a sister, and there are plenty of times when I'm sick of them! That's animal cruelty.

Thanks goodness, he is NOT a pet owner! He at least is aware that he is not the right home for an animal. I still think his attitude is disgusting though.

Are you sure he just wasn't messing with you?

I imagine how any of my animals would do outside and it sort of scares me. None of them have any real survival instincts....

I was hoping he was kidding with me, but I did a little probing, and it seems he really does think the whole scenario is completely acceptable. :(

What a jack- you know what :p

Speaking of having your chins at your cubicle- I have mine as my desktop and screensaver. LOL!

I love having them there! They help me get through those rough days :)

unfortunately idiots will be idiots and often will say things just to get your blood pressure up. Or maybe they are so stupid they actually believe what they are saying. Either way I'd ignore it because it is only upsetting.

As for the taking a penny in we have. A year old cat who had been abandoned twice and finally found a home with us. Her name came with her and was Penny. She was the best cat I've ever met because she always seemed so thankful. Unfortunately her bad nutrition as a kitten caused health problems and we lost her too soon.

It would be funny if the end result wasn't so serious and NOT funny. Every day I see postings from shelters and volunteers cross my facebook wall...begging for someone to save their dogs/cats before they are put down. Many of these animals are picked up as "strays" but were CLEARLY someones pet before. Owners either abandoned them outside, as this jerk said, or their pets became lost and they didn't bother to look.

No domesticated animal should be set free to fend for itself.

Back