Not eating, lost 250g over 3 weeks, small poop.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinsChins

Hey guys, I got an email from someone today and was wondering how to respond? It's as follows:
Hello,
I saw your page and was wondering if you could offer any advice. My chin has lost 250g since we moved about 3 weeks ago. He went from 650 to 407 and is no longer eating. He went to the vet on Friday and the vet prescribed 1/2 ml cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite. He also prescribed albon suspension 1/2 cc for an antibiotic. He started eating after that but stopped recently. I am at a loss and have no clue what to do.
Thanks

I'm thinking parasites, that's a LOT of weight to lose. Anyone have suggestions on what to do?

For one thing, they need to start handfeeding the chin. What were they prescribing the anti-biotics for? Is the chin still pooping? It's a miracle he hasn't gone into stasis yet from lack of eating. The only "parasite" I know of being common in chins is giardia, and I don't think that causes chins to go off their feed, but I could be wrong.

I called her and spoke to her and she said that she cannot find critical care. Is there a way to make critical care at home?

Albon is not used for giardia alone, its a sulfa drug used to treat intestinal infections, it can be used in conjuction with a anti-parasitic such as flagyl but not alone.

She should be able to get critical from the vet or Meanie on the forum sells it through her Wee Companions site. To force feed a chin the pellets need to be crushed, mixed with water to make a slurry and fed with a large syringe. I believe with water it should be 10cc at least every 4 hours.

So Dawn, should a fecal float been done to determine what was going on? Or is it a safe drug to just kind...blindly subscribe?

Laurie, she said the vet only had the dog version. Is there something she can mix until it gets shipped?

She will need to fine crush the pellets she has now and mix with water. I personally would mix with filtered water as water could be an issue. She'll need to buy a thick syringe, make a slurry of the water and the crushed pellets and start handfeeding until the critical care comes in. She could call some other vets in here area and see if someone has the critical care too.

Albon is a "safe" mild antibiotic used to treat intestinal infections, it does not need a prescription. With that kind of weight loss without stasis I would lean towards a parasitic infection, and the fecal float and/or ELISA would be needed.

the vet prescribed 1/2 ml cyproheptadine to stimulate appetite.
This is an antihistamine drug which is also used in cats & dogs. I have not heard of it being used in chinchillas (it is not in the exotics formulary either) & would be concerned about the possible side effects & drowsiness ........

I agree with the others - force feed, gut stimulants if required & get a complete set of tests done including full body x-rays (can be done on one or two films/views) to see if there is anything obvious on them.

That email really doesn't give you much to go on - did you email back & ask the basics like food, activity, anything the chin could have eaten/nibbled, general appearance, peeing, pooping, drinking, slobbering, quidding ......... ?

oh dear, that's what happened to Furby. That was a side effect from the Baytril he was on for a URI though that just lasted months. Handfeeding handfeeding handfeeding.

Latest posts

Back