Not Drinking From Water Bottle?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreenbmp

double chin trouble
We have two chinchillas (caged together, they get along great). But one has not been able to drink from his bottle since we got him. We have been through 3 different types of bottles. He can't seem to grasp the fact that he needs to press harder for the water to come out..He is young/small, and we thought he needed time to get stronger ...but he still can't get the water, we even have two bottles in the cage just in case the dominate chinchilla was hogging the water (Which he isn't). Since we have bought our new little chin, we put water in a bowl, which is rather inconvenient, we do clean the bowl twice a day and he is very healthy and active Any tips? Suggestions?

And we have removed the bowl for 24 hours, to see if he would drink from bottle... he couldn't get water out, and he would act like he was drinking, but nothing would come out we were even pressing it for him to show him how.

Have you tried the raisin trick? Cut a raisin in half and rub the insides over the spout of the water bottle. The chin will smell the raisin and (very enthusiastically!) attempt to "get the raisin off the water bottle".

During the process they will probably press/bite on the spout and get their little mouths and chins all wet. This usually then is enough to show them how the water bottle works :)

Have you tried the raisin trick? Cut a raisin in half and rub the inside over the spout of the water bottle. The chin will smell the raisin and (very enthusiastically!) attempt to "get the raisin off the water bottle".

During the process they will probably press/bite on the spout and get their little mouths and chins all wet. This usually then is enough to show them how the water bottle works :)

I second this! This is how I got my seven year old chin to learn to drink out of a bottle. It works very well.

I agree the raisin solution works well and enjoy it because that is the only time in your little guys life that he should get a raisin.

The raisin thing works well. If not, the glass tube type I think is the easiest to drink out as they can actually see and directly lick the water but I personally find the tubes drip so I try to only offer them if I think a chin isn't drinking.

Back