non fn or cn cages, anyone?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackxlilies

Hello everyone! New chi owner here, been wanting to adopt for several years and finally did :D I work at a rabbit rescue and we had a family surrender their adorable baby 'chilla this weekend because they pretty much live on the road and discovered the chinchilla wasn't particularly suited to their life style (to be quiet honest, from what the person who took him in said I think they didn't have a cage and just had him free roaming in their camper 24/7). Usually the local chinchilla rescue picks up any chins we get but I fell in love with him the minute he came up running to me to say hi and he ended up coming home with me the same day :)

Right now I have a cage I borrowed from the rescue, but I have to give it back soon. I'm absolutely green with envy after going through the entire fn club tread and so wish I could have one! Unfortunately I'm a broke college student who works less 25 hours a week so I don't see one popping up here anytime soon xD For now I'm settling for a 30"x17"x30"cage I found on craigslists (biggest cage I could find within my current budget).

I won't be able to pick this up until Saturday but I'm already planning to replace the plastic shelves with home made wood ones and adding hammocks. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to decorate it or make it interesting so he doesn't get bored? I know the little guys love jumping around, so how much stuff can I add in there without making it too cluttered? This cage is not permanent, as soon as I can afford a ferret nation I will order one and he will also be getting lots of play time outside the cage. Would love to see pictures of your set up if you have a similar cage :)

Attachments

• 3Gf3F73p75N85Kf5P2cck51ec48967796117d.jpg
    3Gf3F73p75N85Kf5P2cck51ec48967796117d.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 52
I have a cage that is smaller like that, although I can't take a pic right now since I'm travelling. I've found it's great to give them jumping room without the clutter when you add in more small perching ledges. I have two large shelves but like 5 perching ledges (like the lava ledge size) which he loves to bounce back and forth from and also sleep on. That way even though there's less space he has lots of places to go and room at the same time.
Hope this helps! Good luck getting set up!

A cage is a cage. Open space in the cage can be filled with ledges and toys and things. It really doesn't matter all that much! If you can distract the chin from chewing on the plastic bottom, there is no reason why you can't use that cage. I'd definitely take the ramps out and make sure that the chin does not chew on the plastic shelves until you can replace them...take them out if he's chewing on them.

A lot of people think that it is expensive to keep a chinchilla. It doesn't have to be. As long as the cage is safe, it's really just fine. The things that you don't want to skimp on are good pellets and fresh hay. Keep the cage clean, give clean water every day and you will have a happy, healthy chinchilla. Oh, and you need to give him plenty to do (destroy) in the cage with some fun toys to chew and throw around. :)

My cages are 18"x30"x38". I have 2 boys in one and one in the other. The shelves are kd pine that I got from Home Depot, they will cut them to length for you. Dale doesn't have much for height, he's got a head tilt that throws off his judgement a little, so I was worried he would fall. These pics are a couple months old, I have since rearranged a bit. Christine from Twilight made the racecar bed in Dale's cage and the house and hay holder in Zoid and Rufus's cage.

Attachments

• IMAG1026.jpg
    IMAG1026.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMAG1028.jpg
    IMAG1028.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 73
This is the cage I have for Mochi. I still have a couple of plastic items in it (I bought them before I knew better) which I check every day at cage cleaning time. So far there aren't any chew marks, but the minute I see some, they're coming out.

For fun, I give her sticks every day so she'll have stuff to chew. I also bought her a bird kabob for Christmas since they're inexpensive and chin friendly. It usually hangs down straight, but she's smart enough to pull it onto the top shelf for easy chewing.

The piece of camo fleece you see hanging near her food dish is where I put the hay. Notice I did not say where I "keep" the hay as it's all over the floor. :p

The wheel is something I bought before knowing better. I don't know if she uses it or not, but she is definitely not chewing it, so I've left it for now.

The cube I made for her. She likes to hang out there on colder days. It's cold enough in this room right now that I need to wear a sweatshirt to be comfortable.

I think I read somewhere for young chins that shelves should be no taller than half their body height from each other. So, if you have a young chin, you might want to keep that in mind.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 68
My chin came with that cage when I got her off of CL. She had all the plastic in it when she came home. The cage was plenty big enough for her. I just changed everything to wood. We have since upgraded to an FN with a proper wheel for her but honestly she would still be fine in the original cage so don't worry, it's not a tiny cage by any means.
Here is the link of the before and after pictures of Delilah's cage-

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25425

If you get a bigger one just don't switch her back. You'd think cage cleaning time was torture the way they shake the bars to escape the Superpet they came in.

Our chin, Andie, is very happy in his Fiesty Ferret Home we purchased online. We did take out the plastic trays and customize it with wood shelves. If I were you, I would keep checking Craiglist. Since purchasing this cage I have seen the double FN cages go for $100!!!!

Attachments

• Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 43
Fiesty Ferret Cage

How do you like the Fiesty Ferret cage? I have been thinking about getting one and trying it out because they are so much cheaper then the FN cage. Are they a pain with only one door to clean? I love how you have your cage set up. :)

Our chin, Andie, is very happy in his Fiesty Ferret Home we purchased online. We did take out the plastic trays and customize it with wood shelves. If I were you, I would keep checking Craiglist. Since purchasing this cage I have seen the double FN cages go for $100!!!!

Keep looking on Craigslist, I got an FN for $100, it may not be in your budget now, but when you're ready you may still be able to get one for far less than the list price. As mentioned above, if your cage is smaller I would take the minimalist approach. A few shelves, but plenty of jumping room. Lots of toys to keep him/her occupied. No wheel, that cage doesn't look sturdy enough to handle a chin safe wheel.

I really prefer the cages with the bottoms like the one you have over the FN's. They throw far less poop out and are much easier for me to clean. I replace all the plastic with branches and shelves. Here is an older picture of mine, they now have thicker shelves and hammocks in them.

Keep in mid that if he is not used to tall cages he might be clumsy at first with the shelves. I would start with one medium hight shelf and build from there after your sure he wont fall. I also second what people have been saying about a few small perches mixed in, the really seem to love em.

How do you like the Fiesty Ferret cage? I have been thinking about getting one and trying it out because they are so much cheaper then the FN cage. Are they a pain with only one door to clean? I love how you have your cage set up. :)

I like my FF but if I had it to do over again I would spend the extra money and get the FN. After setting up the FF I noticed two of the small bars had already come unwelded from the frame. I wrote the company and they sent me two new sides, but I've yet to take it apart to replace them. I was a bit nervous about the extra weight from the wooden shelves, but so far so good.

As for the one door, it's not a problem. I took out the wire divider between the two units so the only really large area to clean is the bottom which I have tiled. I found a small hand broom and dust pan that gets the job of poop removal done quickly ;)

Back