No toys in happy meals?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is another case of the government trying to do the job of the parent. California, and San Francisco in particular, has always amazed me with its contradictions- wanting government to stay out of private lives in certain matters while being almost fascist in other issues. It is up to the parent whether or not a kid gets a happy meal or goes to McDonalds at all.

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me
~bangs head against wall~ :banghead:
:wacko: :wacko:

I don't think it would make much of a difference, to tell you the truth. I'm sure for some people... but like for me, when I was a kid, we didn't have McDonalds very much. And when we did go, while (don't get me wrong) I did like toys, I also liked, oh, I dunno.... the food! The greasy, salty, heavenly food. I didn't need the toy to get me to come back, I liked the food. I mean I'm sure some kids like the toy, but the toy wasn't the reason we went.

And I'm not some obese person either (no offense to anyone who is). I can eat McDonalds every so often without tipping the scales. I think it should be up to the parents how often kids eat at McDonalds, and no amount of bugging from the kids should persuade the parents otherwise. However, that would require parents to step up, and, oh, I dunno, actually parent. So that may be asking too much.

I kind of agree with getting rid of the toys. When my girls were young, those toys were a must have, especially to get a set of something or a particular figure in a set. Luckily, a couple of the McDonalds here sold the toys without having to buy a meal but that wasn't the case at all of them.

I've read this before, I don't think CA is headed in the right direction.

I worked at McD's during the beginning of the beanie baby craze. I had adults (!) come over the counter at me for not having the right one - luckily I could fit between the ice cream and pop machines.

I never saw a child unhappy with the toy they got, or even totally interested. They liked the big jungle slide thing and would be off playing as soon as they could. In our area we sold an equal number of happy meals to adults for the toys as we did kids. You could also buy them strait out. In today's electronic world the toys don't have as much draw to kids as one would think.

I think the government really should be focused on other things and not to sound all conspirist or extreme but they are slowly trying to take away our freedomes. What it comes down to is you have a basic right to feed yourself and your child however you like. It is your body, it is your child, really.

When I was little we ate at McDonalds and me and my bro would always get happy meals regardless if it had the toy or not. The happy meal is a child sized portion, although it still is a lot to eat and not very healthy to begin with, but it is ultimately the parents choice what they feed to their children.
Taking away the toy is not the issue. The sad thing and what should be criticized more is the fact that some people cannot provide a home-cooked meal for their family because it is more expensive and more time consuming. Its cheaper and faster to just go to McDonalds.

SF is just becoming weird every day. I buy Happy Meals sometimes for the toys. I usually give the toys away any ways. I had a whole bunch at one time and ended up giving them to someone on the forum.

They should have little stuff chinchillas. :O lol just kidding...sorta.

I still have all the Lion King McDonald's Happy Meal toys from when I was little. lol

I've noticed the McDonald's that we always go to in Tennessee (we dont have one in my county, but its being built as of now, lol) but they arent giving out toys with the happy meals. I dont buy happy meals but I work at a hotel which sees a lot kids and a lot of Happy Meals, the "toys" werent toys at all. I throw out like 6 of the toys on Sunday alone. I dont think the kids want those meals for the toys.

Luckily, a couple of the McDonalds here sold the toys without having to buy a meal but that wasn't the case at all of them.

Any McDonald's I've ever gone to will sell the toy without any meal. They are typically 99 cents. I've never had a problem getting the toy with no food. I do have a rubbermaid container in the basement full of Happy Meal toys. And usually when I go to McDonald's I order a Happy Meal because that's just about the right amount of food for me.

Last edited:
No way! They're serious about this? The toy in the happy meal just has to be there! Do they want people that go to McDonalds to buy adult sized meals for their kids? They say that the Happy Meal portions are just right for adults...

That's just insanity. People really should be responsible for what goes in their own mouths. They can eat what they want whether it be healthy or not.

You'd be surprised at the lengths parents go to make sure their kids get certain happy meal toys. Every day customers would get mad at me if I told them we didn't have the toy they wanted. Buying the toy separately was an option, but it's mostly a better deal to get the meal along with it.

If they're trying to fight child obesity, they need to remove the food from the Happy Meal and just have the toy. :neener:

I used to buy just the toy and went home to make my version of Mickey-D's much healthier and kids are happy with the idea.

When I was a kid, happy meals meals were too expensive (for 3 kids) so I got the value cheeseburger and a cup of water. Doesn't get any cheaper. I was fine with that and I didn't need the fries or soda or toy. Now though, that cheeseburger is smaller and is way more bun than 'meat'. Its the same at all the big chain fast food places so I don't eat there anymore.

I don't think taking the toy out of kids meals is going to do anything...if people want junk food, they're going to get it. I don't see how the government has the right to make a business do something that is going to potentially make people not want to buy their product. Or for that matter, to decide what people should and shouldn't eat.

Obesity is a problem...so is bad parenting (or lack of parenting). This is not the way to address either.

Latest posts

Back