No hair ring, but..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhowell28

Joey has been fidgeting with himself a lot lately and I checked for a hair ring but didn't see anything. I've read on here that it's pretty common for males to play with themselves but this is a new behavior for him. I don't know if maybe he just discovered he could do that or something! haha but I also want to make sure that there couldn't be another problem

It comes out a long ways you know, about 3 inches. Get it all the way out and as you said check for fur, scrapes, redness, goo, etc. And make sure it goes all the way back in. Have some k-y jelly on hand in case you need a little help getting it back in. I joke with my boys.....they sometimes just look down there every 5 minutes.....I tell them it's still there...it hasn't fallen off yet. lol

How old is Joey? If he is young, you could be right. He may have just discovered that he has a penis or that cleaning it feels good.

You may have just noticed that he is doing this. It seems like they do it in secret most of the time and their owners just happen to catch them doing it sometimes. (And, they do enjoy it, but is a necessary thing for them to do to keep themselves clean...so it shouldn't be discouraged, as wrong as that sounds.)

If he keeps doing this, do like addictedtochins says and make sure you pull his penis out all the way and look it over just to be certain that there is nothing stuck around it or it has any cuts or lumps or bumps on it that may require attention.

When I got Joey (I got him from CL) his owner said he was about 2, so he would be over 3 now. My schedule recently changed at the start of the new semester so I'm thinking maybe I keep catching him doing that because he's not used to anyone being home! lol I haven't seen him do it for a couple days now so maybe I just caught him at a few bad times haha but I will definitely keep a close watch to make sure everything looks okay. I have been looking at his underside when I let him out to play just to make sure nothing starts to look abnormal.

Latest posts

Back