Ninja Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chub_Chub

Last night Dexter was playing in the bedroom. He was on the bed, and I was across from him and wanted to get his attention.. I scratched the sheets with my nails and he stared at my hand and then ran at it.. He kind of bumped it with his side and then jumped over the hand like a hurdle.. I kept scratching and he did a loop and came back and bump/jumped again. He did this another couple times and then he seemed to attack my hand the last time.. Not like a chin fight vicious attack, but like biting my hand to tell me to stop. Gave me a scratch, but not a big deal. As soon as I stopped making the sheet scratching noise he was normal.

BF didn't believe me when I went out of the room and told him, so he came back in with me and Dexter did it to him too, the whole routine.. None of my other boys have reacted to this sound with other than mild curiosity before.

Anyone else ever hear of this or seen it before? I'm considering getting a video of it tonight when I get home to show (if he'll do it again).

Maybe Dexter is just trying to tell me to get a better thread count sheet set! LOL :pillowfight:

My one boy attacks me like that everytime he is out of the cage. He will start chattering his teeth then will run at my hand, leg, foot whatever is around, and then turn around and run to away, do that again... so on so forth.

I don't think chins like that noise. I realized awhile ago that chin kits will 'freak out' when someone holds them while they have a nylon jacket on. They hate the noise it makes when you run your hand down it. I tell people to take off their jacket before handling a chin

I agree, they don't like that noise at all. Someone once told me that it was the sound of snakes or something like that.

But, as you know, Dexter is a STRANGE little chinchilla. He does love playtime and loves pouch time. He's very interactive, much more so than most normal chinchillas. For the longest time he wasn't around other chinchillas in his previous home, he just flipped out when he came here! He wanted to know what everyone was doing and wanted to be out all the time. Sam was his favorite for sure!

Anyway, Dex is just overly sensitive, I am sure of that! Did he bite hard?

Nah, he didn't bite hard at all. I have a small scratch on the top of my hand, that's it. I just thought he was a little weirdo (which we already knew) because Bowie and Ziggy could care less when I make scratching noises.. Sam wasn't paying attention at the time, so I'm not sure how he would react. So I guess the final answer is "don't do it unless you want an irritated chin". LOL

Dex is a hyper little rocket, that's for sure.... Hates being held but loves his playtime and jumping on and off the bed. I really need to make a pouch for him to carry around the house. I think he would like that.

the sometimes when i scratch my carpet he'll look at me and do this weird movement with his teeth. Kind of like hes a goat and is chewing and then when i stop he goes back to what he was doing, but he definitely didn't do a circus act like yours .lol.

intresting

When I had Rem we had her in a cage in the living room and if I ran my hand over the carpet side to side she'd follow it with her eyes---like a cat going in fr the kill.

Maybe chins just don't like those things?

Latest posts

Back