Nibbling through Fleece

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

Hi Everyone!

As all chins do, my chin loves to chew everything. Last Friday I made one of those PVC tubes for him to crawl into, but he just ended up trying to eat it! I had made a Tube Cover using the handy DIY Instructions, and no part of the PVC tube was showing. (I took the tube out as soon as I saw what he was doing - he didn't ingest anything)

I just haven't read anywhere on here where a Chin has actually nibbled through their fleece. Is it because the PVC Tube has an attractive odor to him? Is there a specific solution I should use to try to clean the tube?

I don't want to put it back in the cage until I know he won't try to eat it. Could he have an opposition to the fleece? I got him almost 2 months ago and he's 4 years old. He was in a wire cage until about a month ago. I had made him a hammock which he never used, and also have a stretched piece of fleece to act as a second-story floor. He will sit on this second story piece, but prefers the wood shelf above it. Just trying to find a reason why he wanted to get to the covered plastic.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Michelle

You could switch to steel tubes instead. My girls chewed right through the fleece tube cover and the PVC. Tanya (www.fuzzieskingdom.com) carries them and I haven't had any issues since the switch.

When I got my girls a tube (cardboard center with fleece cover) they seemed more interested in what the hard tube in the center of the fleece was and if it was edible(they discovered it was) I made new covers but occasionally they chew small holes in the fleece to get to the tube.. Tho supprisingly it's only with thier jumbo sized tube and not the normal sized ones :/ at any rate there are less worries with a metal tube ;)

Some chins honestly just try to nibble the new fleece, if he's not actually breaking off chunks and eating them I wouldn't worry too much, as he might stop once he gets used to the item. However, if he's actually chewing holes in the fleece I wouldn't use any type, whether it pvc or metal, because if he's chewing the fleece he could eat a portion of it.

if he's ignoring his fleece shelf liner, then i think trying a fleece tube cover should go alright.

what i use for fleece tubes is large metal coffee cans. they are the perfect size for one chin, and two do manage to snuggle up together in one (my silly Rhino and Guss, lol) although i don't see how they could be comfy!

just ensure that all the edges of the coffee can are crimped down well after you remove both ends. a pair of pliers works well for this.

Thanks for all the good advice!

I don't think he has an issue with the fleece itself since he doesn't try to eat the fleece that was in there previously. He's probably just curious to see what was under it like Melbur10's chins were.

I like the idea of the metal tube and the coffee can seems like an inexpensive solution. I'll go ahead and give that a try.

Thanks again for all the great advice!
Michelle

My girls have an incredible memory, especially when it comes to chewing things. They chewed a massive hole into my wall over time, when they were out to play. I was forced to keep them in their cages until i could figure something out (and afford it) Unfortunately they weren't out for a few months. I ended up getting some fleece to cover the entire wall.

After all that time away from being out, the first time i let the girls out again, they ran straight to the spot where that hole was. (even tho is was covered with fleece). They remember exactly where it was and continued trying to get at it.

Even now, some time later, they still go to that spot and try to chew it. So they have an incredible memory.

I just wanted to thank ChinnyMom really quick. That's an awesome idea about the coffee cans. As soon as I read it I made a couple. They are loving them already.

I just wanted to thank ChinnyMom really quick. That's an awesome idea about the coffee cans. As soon as I read it I made a couple. They are loving them already.

you are very welcome! i thought of the coffee can because i didn't like the idea of pvc tubes under the fleece, in case my boys pulled the fleece off. i'm pretty thrifty, so re-purposing and recycling is always on my mind.

My girl who had stasis and was quarenteened for about 4 months from the other girls in a small safe cage now no longer is accepted into the girls group, I got her a separate tube, and it so happens to be a coffee can too... She LOVES it and is the main spot she's in. :)

Back