Nibbler ate a suction cup!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceswithElvis

House Hobo
Crap. I cannot believe I did that. I forgot to remove a stupid suction cup from a hanging toy. It wasn't like it was easy for him to get to either. But he got to it, regardless and now I feel like a horrible chinmommy.

He appears to be fine atm. Pooping as normal. Playing. Eating. Etc. Should I take him in now or first thing in the morning?

Wish I could be of help, but I am a pretty new chin mommy myself. Hopefully someone will chime in. Hope he is okay :)

How large was the suction cup? It will take 8 to 12 hours before this is out of his system and you would know that it didn't cause a blockage. I don't know what the vet could do to help him at this point beyond doing xrays and maybe doing surgery. At this point the vet will probably tell you to wait it out. The type of surgery required to correct this problem would carry very hefty risks for a chinchilla.

It's up to you. It's Sunday so you probably won't get an actual chinchilla vet. If it were me, I'd wait until morning because there's not much that could be done. They can't induce vomiting or anything to bring anything up.

I wish I could tell you that there is more a vet could do to help.

What was the suction cup made from? Was it a clear plastic? I wonder if it would help to give some activated charcoal to keep the chin from absorbing anything from it...

It was soft clear plastic. It was on a super pets...uh, what are they called...the the metal rod thingies that have wood chews on them? I couldn't get the stupid suction cup off, and needed to do a few quick errands. I didn't think he'd mess with it in that short of time. :banghead: So of course, I think it was the first thing he must have went for.

The one nice thing...he does tend to chew things up into pieces. So hopefully it's all pretty small stuff. ****. This is so very upsetting. I don't want to lose my little boy. :cry3:

Hopefully all will pass on its own. Praying for your little man. Keep us updated.

How is he now? If it made it through the night, he'll be fine. I hope he's alright.

Not that it's okay, but chinchillas have eaten much worse things in much larger amounts and come through it without any problems.

I hope he's alright...let us know when you can. :)

Keep an eye on appetite, poops, activity levels. At first sign of anorexia/decreasing eating, small/no poops, and/or lethargy, you'll want to take him to the vet in case he has a blockage. I'd keep a close eye on him for a few days as it can take some time for foreign objects to move through the GI system.

The first thing he did this morning was attack and hump my hand, so he's feeling pretty good.

And just now he griped at me for disturbing his sleep. But, I'm going to keep checking on him throughout the day.

Latest posts

Back