New to forum Hello

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Smora

Hey everyone i am new and from Massachusetts. Since i was a kid i wanted a pet squirrel. Then i met the one person you all know that you love, and she introduced me to this lovely little animal called a Chinchilla. I went to the store and fell in love with this beautiful chinchilla. I bought her 1 week later. I am a previous Reef tank owner and know how to watch an animal for signs. I read thousands of readings about Chins. Know i own one and cant wait to have more. So I just want to reach out and say hi and any advice i would love to have.
Thanxs everyone and god bless,
Xavier and Emily.
O ya we namer her Smora. can u guess why :):crazy:

Welcome to the forum to the 3 of you! The best advice I can give is to read through as many threads as you can to learn information. Forum members do disagree on somethings but you'll be able to see what the best cages, wheels, and feed are. Some members like bedding some like fleece liners. Most everyone will agree fleece items are great for your chin in the way of fleece tubes, hammocks, pillow and comforters. Some members make these items so please check out the classifieds to see if they have something you might like.

Treats are a hot topic! Most people hear and think raisins and dried fruit are okay treats for chins, when they are actually very high in sugar. And high is sugar is not good for humans and not good for chins. Healthy treats are best, dried rose hips, plain cheerios, plain shredded wheat, a small pinch of old fashioned oats (not the quick cooking kind).

Dust baths keep your chins coat healthy but too many dry their skin. Blue Cloud, Blue Sparkle are the dusts most members love, however myself and others included use Sweet PDZ which is actually used for horse stalls and such to help eliminate odor. You can check and see if you have a feed store near you that may carry this or the dust. If not again check the classifieds for where you can get some.

Food--another hot topic! Food from petstores with treats in it is not what forum members will tell you to use. Instead look for Oxbow, Mazuri, Tradition, PANR (which is rabbit feed) or Nutrena Rabbit Feed-which is what I use as I have a feed store nearby.

I can totally understand your love for your chin and you would like more! But I will caution you right now if you even mention you'd like to get a male chin for her several members will be on you about breeding and the ramification from such. Most members will agree if you'd like a friend for your chin it should either be yourself and Emily OR it could be a same sex chinchilla. Not all chins are friendly with a cagemate so you need to prepare yourself for that as well.

We love new members and love talking to new members so feel free to pop into chat as well where someone can answer questions for you right away.

The best thing you can do for your chin is to love her and treat her kindly and with respect.

If you have some time read over the thread sections in New Owner questions, cages, health and hygiene. If you want to freak yourself out right off the bat you can also read into chin emergencies, but I've found it's not always a great place to start when you're a new chin owner.

I hope I answered some questions you might have had and I'm sure several other members will pop on with even more info for you.

Again, Welcome!

Thanxs all, dont know what anyone would use this but i cleaned a toiletpaper roll and filled it with hay. Smora has been run run run run on her wheel then dig dig dig trying to get the hay out very cute very funny love my lil brat. O and yes shes a brat.

You can get TONS of helpful information here, I hope you like it!

Back