New pictures of my little bird

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureDVM

I took some new pictures of my conure, Penny the other day so I thought I'd share them here. She's such a wonderful little bird.

P3150159.jpg

P3150153.jpg

P3150151.jpg

P3150148.jpg

P3150145.jpg

She is very pretty!! How is her temperament? I've been hearing a lot lately that conures a demons in disguise! I know my sisters only likes her fiance. Hates her, and the kids. I can handle it but I'm rarely around him/her so I think that may be why. My inlaws looked at a few for adoption, and they just drew blood constantly.

She is very pretty!! How is her temperament? I've been hearing a lot lately that conures a demons in disguise! I know my sisters only likes her fiance. Hates her, and the kids. I can handle it but I'm rarely around him/her so I think that may be why. My inlaws looked at a few for adoption, and they just drew blood constantly.

It really depends on the individual bird. Plus, there are lots of different types of conures so it's hard to make a blanket statement about all of them. I think the reason conures sometimes have a bad reputation is because people don't fully understand them. They are big birds in little bodies and can have very strong personalities. Well trained and socialized conures are wonderful birds, though!

Penny has a great personality. She is very quiet, affectionate, and playful. She definitely loves me the best, but she tolerates new people pretty well, especially after she gets acquainted with them. She really isn't nippy at all either.

Yup totally agree, and we also need to learn how to read their body signals. We often force ourselves on them, and forget that they aren't as domesticated as say dogs and cats, and are in fact still wild animals!

Your Penny is beautiful by the way!

Good to know. We are looking at getting a parrot in the fall. We've mostly been looking at medium sized birds (amazon, grey, electus) but I have always thought the conures to be pretty. Hubby hasn't met one he liked and put his foot down... But I won't count them out.

Megan, I do love the conures, but if you want a laid back and quiet bird, a Pionus is almost the perfect birds. Some can talk, but minimal at that, but awesome personalities! I have a blue headed girl. Sweetest girl ever!
Blue crowns can be cranky, some are sweet, but they are often good talkers, but are noisy, as are the sun conures!
The birds like above is one of the quieter ones. Nice sized bird though for those who are intimidated by size.

I don't mind a bird who is a little loud... I don't want cockatoo loud, but they don't have to be overally quiet. My inlaws actually had a rescue blue headed. He was pretty nice, but I noticed he had a scent to him that I haven't noticed other birds have. She mentioned pionus having a musk? She currently has a Solomon island electus that I am just in love with.

The research I was doing lead me to either a female electus, or an amazon as top pick. I have always wanted a grey, but I think they (along with the male electus) may be too sensitive for our house.

Anyway I don't want to steal the thread!

Megan if you want to pick my brain message me sometime, I have macaws, cockatoos, pionus, blue crown, and 3 african greys! My female grey thrives on noise, and chaos! But we got her young, and conditioned her to some extent, but she loves it!
Yes the Pionus do give off a musk. I call it Pionus perfume! they often do this when excited or see their fav people.

Back