New mutation in my herd

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saphire

Christiane's Chinchillas
Well needed to share this... basically wanted to keep it too myself, but I do plan on breeding and showing them. And since I won't be able to keep them all and will have to put them out there evenutally.

I, never in my life, ever ever ever thought I would go there. It goes to say ¨Never say Never¨.
1 - because of the amount of animals needed
2 - amount of work, planning it requires
3 - amount o...f time not knowing if I would see it in my life time being of the way I breed to get the mutation
4 - amount of time to get to my objective.

The opportunity did come up and I must admit, withheld for some time.. but temptation got the better of me.

As you all know, I work mostly recessive mutations that require pure standards to produce and improve on health and quality.

I do the Sapphires, Violets, Lowes Recessive Whites and now the Bleu Diamonds.

The Bleu Diamonds came in from Denmark. After seeing the photos of the animals, I was pleasantly impresses with them, so were the judges at MCBA Nationals in Indiana this past March.
Therefore I have chosen to go there.

2 of my 3 males where shown, the other came in to late. But they did get reserve and champion of their classe (phase).
The two females that are Violet sapphire carrier and a Sapphire violet carrier have gotten 1st place.

The judges where Dave Woods and Jim Ritterspach. So this means they are of quality. Therefore eliminating the breeding of many chinchillas in the hopes of getting a first Bleu Diamond. Anyhow it is quit a process since we are working with a double recessive.

So I do hope to do them justice and work with them to improve in every way as I am doing with the other recessives.

I hope to do them all justice, well it is my objective.
All = Sapphires, Violets, Lowes Recessive Whites and Blue Diamonds

That's exciting. I don't think you have to justify wanting to work with them. I am considering it myself but would need to do some rearranging of my space.

Thanks Christine :)

Didn't realize I was comming thru as justifying my choice.
I just wanted to mention why I didn't want to go into Bleu Diamonds from scratch.
Didn't think I would have the chance to see a bleu diamond born here if I did it from scratch and that is considering I had the right animals to start them off with.
Opportunity knocked and I answered and very happy I have.

Last edited:
If you Bring one to the PA show I am so definitely making it a point on going then!

Sorry I got excited by the concept myself lol.

Good luck with all these recessives.

don't know how to do mutli quotes, but this will work.

mishellyshel:
congrats! i look forward to seeing pictures!! wishing you much success!

thank you Mishellyshel, :) pictures as soon as they settle in a bit.

------------------------------------------------
Mt. Zion Chins:
Will you be bringing any to the State College PA show?? - I would love to see one

Dolyphinm
If you Bring one to the PA show I am so definitely making it a point on going then!

Sorry I got excited by the concept myself lol.

Good luck with all these recessives.

Sorry Barb and Dolyphinm, I will not bring any at this show. These guys have been from Denmark to Mark Miller in January, March at Nationals then Québec, Canada.

I don't think it would be fair and would take/ask to much of them to have them take another 15 hour trip in such a short time. They are less than a year. I would like them to gain weight they may have lost during these trips before putting them into breeding.

I do plan and hope to have to show next year though.

Thank you Dolyphinm,
But, try and make it anyway, it is fun, people to meet, lots of nice raffle stuff that you will want to win... trust me.

Good luck! Maybe in the future we can work together on improving them. I have some of my best Sapphires and violets set up to get some double carriers and work from there.

thank you Brittany! Just a note, it was a pleasure meeting you at the show.

Thank you Jags, I would not mind that Jags!

I have to admit, I was dubious about them but I was surprised at how good the Denmark animals actually looked - not only is the color very beautiful, but their fur quality is up to par.

I am also very impressed with their color and fur. Very happy that I am starting to work with this new color. Can't wait to see the generations to come. :)

could you post a picture of blue diamonds or sapphire?
i dont know the difference sorry for being ignorant XD just trying to learn more about chinchillas.

ccChalieAndSpruce99chins

Sapphire
Amy
they are not the best pictures of on of my girls, but that's my camera

Bleu Diamond

Last edited:
I was surprised to see how many are getting into these guys now! Not too long ago we were talking badly about those working with them... It goes to show that you are so right! Never say never!

I wish you all good luck! It won't be an easy journey, but the reward will pay off! I wish I could have seen the Denmark guys in person. I have heard nothing but amazing things about them.

You are right Megan, I am one that didn't see myself getting into them in my life time. (I am 51yrs old). Don't think I have put down anyone for doing so, but certainly did not encourrage it.
Didn't think I would even have the time to get a BD in my herd. Let alone working the health issues and fertility.
The advantage today is, someone has worked those issues and has come up with mighty decent animals which saves aaaaalot of work. Now, just got to continue the good work this gentleman has started and done.

I can only presume that people have not spoken about it because of the expectation of serious negative feedback. I don't know,I can only speak for myself by saying I was expecting it and wanted it over with. But, it seems I have been wrong in expecting so and find it awesome.

Last edited:
I liked the general color of them but myself did not see the sparkle or see them as overly bright and clear. They also need a lot of improvement on their size. May never ever have a blue diamond here but I am willing to use a few very nice animals in the attempt to possibly create one. If not I may have some very nice double carriers for someone else to use. I just could not justify the cost to possible return and the time it might take to make my money back. I know Mark has a lot invested in them, but I also know the more people who work with them the less they will cost in the future.

I myself find them appealing! I seen some of Ronda's animals at a show, and the color almost glowed. It's hard to describe in person, but they are appealing to the eye.

Back