New Member - Sick Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its common to happen in malo chins when the owner is not paying attention and the chin loses weigh rapidly, 30 grams in 3 days depending on how much the chin weighs can be 5-10% of the chins body weight. It is reversible with alot of supportive care.

He was 810 grams when I brought him in the first time and 781 today.

I'm really hoping these medications help him. I'm so worried. The vet wants to see him again in a week to test his liver levels and see if he's responding to the meds.

Hepatic lipidosis can happen when the chinchilla not taking in enough calories or nutrients to meet its metabolic needs. Fat from other parts of the body are moved to the liver, the liver goes into a metabolic frenzy and the liver enzymes elevate which causes the liver disease "fatty liver".

Liver issues are complex - I would not hold too tightly to the thought that the Metacam and/or Septrin caused issues in such a short space of time. Dawn's hypothesis is more likely BUT the combination of things might also be a factor.
Stress and anxiety etc can also play a part in abnormal blood test results.

Fingers crossed your chin improves for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and support through this thread.

Boog seems worse today. Even more lethargic. I just gave him his medicines and a hand feeding. He is so horrible with the hand feedings. He takes the medicine and water fine, but not the food. It's such a struggle and I feel he barely gets any of it down his throat.

:( I'm starting to feel panicky about this.

He also "hates" us now, and tries to run away from us when we enter the room and "yells" at us. I hate this :(

Last edited:
I would take the chin back to the vet and re-take x-rays, it could be the liver or it could be the chin is getting more gassy, either way this can go down very fast.

Could be helpful if you get Boog hospitalised if you're having trouble getting the food down him? Its costly, but then you don't have to worry about hurting him whilst your force feed him. Especially if he's getting worse :(

I hope he gets better soon!

Well, I found if I use tiny syringes he takes the food better. Except he bites them up so badly I have to throw away about 4 after every feeding!! I picked up a bunch more syringes today.

He seems brighter eyed today - I hope that means the medications are helping his liver. He is still lethargic but his eyes are brighter and he fought like mad today when I tried to burrito him up.

His poops are a little bit larger! Still tiny, but a little less of a perfect circle and starting to get a bit more oblong. They are still light brown, but I'm getting as much water into him as I can.

I've always been told to watch for small poops, and give them Mylicon (It is a gas med for babies, aka simethicone)
Once I noticed my chin had small poops, I gave her what I could, (some like it, some don't...she didn't...) and she was pooping like crazy shortly after... works like a charm and they can have a whole dropperful.

can also be given as maintenance, prevention.

The color of the poop probably won't change until the liver heals. Liver problems cause light almost clay colored bowel movements.

Ugh. Boog seemed he was getting better, but has really gone downhill again. I can't get any food into him and he keeps biting me. Poops are practically non-existant again. I called the vet and he wants him hospitalized. I'm about to leave to drop him off.

Please keep him in your thoughts :( I'm worried sick.

Sending good thoughts to Boog. :(

Thank you.

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from the doctor today. When I dropped him off they weighed him and he'd lost another 20 grams. :(

I hope he is getting some good rest and being pumped full of medicines and fluids. I'm sure they will be better about getting food into him than me!

Boog was doing better and eating his critical care, but today we got a call that he has taken a turn for the worse.

He has quit eating the critical care and has blood in his urine. They are going to run some blood and urine tests today and get back to us with the results.

I'm so upset right now :(

Can liver damage cause blood in the urine? Or is this something else that's happening?

I was like in shock when I talked to the vet because yesterday they said Boog should be ok to come home today, so I didn't ask.

I'll ask more questions when they call back later with the results.

Just spoke with the vet again. Boog has not eaten all day and is looking worse. His blood and urine tests reveal his liver has gotten even worse. They are giving him IV fluids tonight and are going to do an ultrasound tomorrow morning (I hope the morning).

Please keep Boog in your thoughts. I'm so sad :(

Back