New hay dish

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

I took some left over poplar wood pieces i had and decided to make a nice large hay dish for my 3 girls. Something large enough so they could all be at it at once without having room problems, but nothing fancy or anything. Especially since i don't have many tools much less proper ones. So i spent a week putting pieces together with poplar dowels. (Since i didn't have single pieces long enough) The 'dish' was around 17 inches long.

I Finlay was able to put it in the girls cage to see how it would work. It was nice at first. Plenty of room for them all. and it actually keep the hay in the hay dish (for the most part) instead of all over.

However... their was one little issue. After one night in the cage... :hair:

Picture
All the way through to the bottom to.

How can you not love em?

Haha. I was tired of hay going everywhere too, so I just washed out one of my daughters empty formula cans really well and stuffed hay in it and laid it down in his cage. It sorta worked except for the fact that he was rolling it around everywhere, so I think I might drill some holes and run some wire thru it to secure it to the cage...hmmm. possibilities are endless! Lol

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing :hilarious:
Well at least now you can put bedding in it an turn it into a litter box. :thumbsup:

ooh, i'm tempted to build one myself and see if Jones decides it's a bathroom!
What is it about even the tastiest hay that makes them want to pee on it?

I guess you could sand it down, put thier litter pan there and try moving the hay dish somewhere else. Maybe that was the spot they like to pee in.

I guess you could sand it down, put thier litter pan there and try moving the hay dish somewhere else. Maybe that was the spot they like to pee in.

unfortionitly no. I placed it in their same spot their old carrot shapped hay dish has been for a long while. Which was on the shelf with their food dish. I actuly didnt expect this to happen so much because my girls are very good with only useing the litter pans on the bottem tray to pee in.

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing :hilarious:
Well at least now you can put bedding in it an turn it into a litter box. :thumbsup:

heh. Unfortionitly it was all poplar wood, and the pee soaked right through to the bottem. So the dish was already thrown out. (Makes me glad i used only left over wood and not new)

maybe its something against the hay lol. All my chins are pretty good with useng litter pans or litter to pee in. But one of my boys will often tear hay out of the dish onto the shelf and pee on it. >< Now my girls destroy their new hay dish (with hay still in) with pee.

HAHAHA wow...this reminds me of a wooden house i had with a dip in the top where the girls would scootch into the corner and pee....little peepers

ROFL.....

when I had my first cage, I switched all the plastic shelves out for wood ones we made.....and I bordered the three sides that touched the edge with....edging. Keep that poop in!

I figured why stop there....and I added more edging and built up a hay container on one of the shelves..

Yeah same thing. Instant pee box. ROFL..

Latest posts

Back