New guy!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristanichole

Awhile back I was looking for a new friend for my male Boo since his son died. I decided on a 3 year old Ebony male for him - I wasn't sure that it would work out because they were both adults...Boo is just about 7 years old.

They went through introductions outside of the cage and it would go really well for about 10 minutes, and then fur would fly and chasing would start, a few times Tucker (the Ebony) would get into a dominance stance, thrust his little hips, and spray at Boo (I didn't know males could spray anything, but he sure did). There was mounting from both of them and just a lot on nonsense. A few times I tried them in the same cage and it would go well and then the chasing would start. Boo would go in his hanging fleece tube and Tucker would get so frustrated trying to get at him...pacing back and forth. Finally I gave up on it for about a week and a half. I had split the cage in half and left just enough of a crack so that they could touch noses, smell each other, all that. Some kacking went on, quite a few times they were both going nuts trying to get at each other. Finally a day went by when they didn't yell at each other, didn't try to get at each other, just smelled each other and talked. Then another day, and another, until finally a week passed without any arguing. I separated the block and made the cage into one...then I sat and waited to see what would happen. They calmly bounced around with each other and then they started grooming each other.
From then on, that was it. Now they are best buds. They sleep in the hut together, they play together, nap together. They groom each other from nose to tail and they are both so happy. SO AM I!

Tucker is so great. He loves scritches, he'll throw his head and little arm back and put a big smile on his face. He likes to have them every night.

And now for pictures!

6572_124124963932_502678932_3029083_1436569_n.jpg

6572_124124973932_502678932_3029084_5860718_n.jpg

6572_124124978932_502678932_3029085_4511702_n.jpg

6092_129687793932_502678932_3116677_421250_n.jpg

6092_129687798932_502678932_3116678_2924593_n.jpg

Congrats!
Now I am so encouraged to try again and keep trying to make my boys friend to one another. Thanks for sharing. Your boys are beautiful, too!

Aw very cute! I hate intros, they stress me out! But like you did here, sometimes it's just about finding what works for the chins you're trying to intro. Sometimes what works for some may not work for others.
I hope they continue to get along for you!

Oh thats so funny to see the pictures of Tucker needing his cuddle buddy. Wasn't so bad after all was it Tucker? lol

I love happy endings. They both look so cute. Thank you for sharing that story. Good luck with them.

Tucker is adorable and I am so happy to hear that your two boys are getting along so well - finally! I really hope they continue to be best friends. They certainly look good together in those last two pictures.

Nice butt shot! Tucker is very handsome and I just adore his name! Nichole I'm so happy your boys are happy!

I don't think Tucker likes that "camera thing" with the stinkeye you're getting!
A cutie for sure, and I'm glad they "talked it out"!

Latest posts

Back