New guy, new name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost11

I have found the chinchilla I feel I am meant to have, he is 5 years old. Tame little guy. Beautiful. I am getting him tomorrow, and I have a few questions.

I want to change his name, is this something that is easy to do? Or should I just leave it be? If I do change it will he catch on easily?

She doesn't feed the same food I will be feeding, should I gradually switch him over? I will be feeding Oxbow. Should I expect loose stool?

She is giving me all of his belongings. However, I will not be using his cage (it's very small) should I use some of her shelves for scent purposes?

How long does it typically take a chinchilla to adjust to their new home? Should I just put him in his new home and leave him alone for a few days or can I hold him?

I am so scared.. He is such a special little guy. I want to start out doing the right/best things for him. :)

Thanks for everyone's input in advance.

A gradual switch with food is best, unless they are feeding the food with all the junk in it. I would use some of his shelves as it will help him feel more at home in a new cage. You can always switch them out later. As far as holding him, see how he reacts to you, if he seems scared give him some space, if he doesn't run from you, kack or spray I'd say he is adjusting well.
Good luck with your little guy.

Thanks jbcstratton, I appreciate your words of wisdom. I am a little nervous. Hopefully, tomorrow goes well. :D

You can change his name, normally that's not an issue.

As far as switching food, if they give you enough of the old kind to do a slow switch, that's best. First week 75% old food 25% new, 2nd week 50/50, 3rd week 25/75 4th week all new. But if it's a really crappy food, sometimes people will completely switch them over to the new feed and just watch the poop and feed a ton of hay.

I like to keep old shelves in for a while, but if they're really crappy it won't harm him to just give him everything new.

Depending on his personality will determine if you should hold him or leave him alone. My first chin was so friendly that I didn't even need to leave her alone, she was trying to jump on my hand right away, but she was by far the most friendly chin I've dealt with. Some chins will be skittish and need a few days. You'll be able to tell, if he's hiding or making his scared alarm call, then he'll need some time to adjust and just leave him be, only checking on him and giving new food/water. Then slowly build up his trust.

Congrats on your new chin!

Back