New Foster Kittens

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristanichole

First and foremost, I didn't want to post this in the "other pets" section because technically these little monsters aren't mine ;)

I haven't done foster care in over a year and I just recently decided to start up again for the Humane Society here. During the summer we get massive amounts of kittens that come in either motherless, with a mother and they all need fostering, or with a mother who doesn't want them anymore...I got "lucky" and had the ones that got rejected by their mom. Their mother is GORGEOUS...a SH Dilute Tortie...but she just didn't want to care for them anymore. There are 7 kittens in total...6 of them are 4 weeks old and the one who was put in with the litter was apparently just found and he is 5 weeks old. He looks just like the rest of them. I'm hoping to get my hands on a camera (mine kicked the bucket :wacko:) and get some pictures up - the scanned photos I have of them wont do them a bit of justice.

So, they came to me on Friday...I hate writing things down, so instead I will just keep little updates on here and on my Facebook for people to see who are interested. On Friday I had a pen set up next to my bed where they were spending all of their time, but they were a bit secluded, so on Sunday I set up their pen in the back of my room and they are able to see more and interact more with us. Friday someone kept having accidents on the towel outside of the litter box (yes, I changed it every single time I saw it)...I couldn't find the culprit, but they got the hang of it by Saturday and *knock on wood* no one has done it since. Now I just have to deal with poopy behinds, due to a few of them with the longer hair...and messy bodies from the mush they are eating.

Speaking of eating...everyone is eating on their own except for little Webster...I call him Webby. He absolutely REFUSES to eat from a bowl and has to have his bottle. He likes to hold it and then keep suckling even after the formula is gone. Today I started mixing in Chicken&Chicken Gravy baby food with the formula in the bottle. He showed the slightest indication that he might start trying to eat from a bowl tonight, biting the sides of it...but to his dismay...no milk comes out of ceramic:banghead:
I'm hopeful that he'll start within the next week. He eats double the times in a day that the others eat.
So, that's Webster...he was 11oz on Friday and is now up to 13.5oz - making momma proud! He is solid gray - just the cutest! He's the odd man out because everyone else has markings of some sort. He is short haired and such a little hunny. You always get that special bond with the ones you have to bottle feed...and I have it with him...he has it with me.

Now to talk about the other ones. Pip is the odd man out when it comes to names...he is the kitten who isn't part of the litter by blood - so he was named with a "P" instead of a "W" like the rest of them...please keep in mind, I did not name these kittens...you'll see what I mean as you come to a few of the names:laughitup:
Pip is a light orange tiger baby with short hair. He is at the weight and maturity of a 5 week old kitten. He doesn't seem to need to eat as often as the rest of them, I didn't have to show him how to start eating...he just did it, and he uses the litter box like a pro. On Friday he weighed 22oz and is maintaining that weight as of around 7pm last night. I'm not worried about no weight gain at this point...I'd be worried if he lost. He's super spunky and eats when he's hungry...which is around 3-4 times a day. When he came here on Friday he was pretty feral. He was scared and hissy and jumped at everything. He wouldn't come to me on his own and wouldn't purr. By Saturday night I had him purring when I pet him. By Sunday night I would pet him, pull my hand away, and he'd come and nuzzle me for more. And finally, on Monday he was coming into my lap on his own, playing with me, and literally running circles around me. He is getting a lot of exposure to things that he wouldn't be getting at the shelter (for instance, dogs) and he is becoming better and better each day. He's also very independent; he can be seen either hanging out alone and playing or with the other kittens.

Then we have Waffle (see...here is a name I would have never thought to call a cat...) - he too is a light orange tiger baby. He has a thinner face and short hair. I had to guide him when it came to everything at first, but by the end of Friday night he knew what to do and didn't need my help. He weighed in at 12.5oz on Friday night and is now 13oz. I was hoping for a nice 14oz but he didn't make the cut. I'm not worried though, he's got a nice tummy and I can't feel his back bone. I'm confident he'll make it up there in the next few days.

Walrus is the other light orange tiger baby...He's fluffy though...I don't know if he'll stay like that or not. Now, Walrus may seem like a funny name, but if you SAW this kitten...you'd see. His face actually reminds me of a Walrus! He too needed a little help getting started, but quickly caught on. He weighed in at 12.5oz on Friday also, but as of Monday evening shot up to a nice 14.5 oz!! He's the third biggest boy in the litter and acts like he's starving *rolls eyes*...trust when I say, he is not...he has a permanent food beard....and on top of that he's a half an ounce heavier than I was hoping for. He's good.

Waverly is one of the two females in the whole group. She is a gray tiger baby and is almost unrecognizable from her brother Whistle. The only way you can tell them apart is their eyebrows...and their genitals of course...:hilarious: Waverly has two very dark markings that shoot up from her eyes and lightly join in the middle of her face to make a lightly colored "M". She is only 11oz and needed help at first, but quickly got the hang of things. She cries at me sometimes like she can't do it, but I don't want to baby her too much so I have to ignore it and get her to do it herself...which she does. Giving her a bottle will only get her dependent on that again and I need her to be a big girl. She unfortuately hasn't gained anything since being with me. I made her up her own food dish Monday night just in case she is getting pushed out. She ate some, but she really does prefer to eat with company. On top of that, I don't know what she weighed at birth, so it could be that she was just small to start and slow to gain.

Wysteria is absolutely adorable. Her hair is longer, but it isn't tiger like the others...she seems to have some Tortie spotting that may be more present if she ends up with shorter hair. She has a little white dash on her forehead. She needed a little coaxing to get things started also, but by the end of Friday night she was doing it on her own. She weighed in at 12oz on Friday and she too is still maintaining that weight. She also got her own dish Monday night...she stayed there for a bit but wanted to go by her litter mates and eat.

Whistle was 13oz large on Friday night and needed a little starting push, but by the end of the night was eating on his own with the rest of them. He looks almost identical to Waverly, but he has two light lines up from his eyes that don't quite meet. Also, if you flip him over he was VERY defined "leopard spots" on his belly. Monday night he weighed in at 18oz making him the largest of his litter! I don't know where he puts it because physically he doesn't look big. Walrus appears to be bigger, but that is probably because Walrus has longer hair than Whistle does.

Friday night I fed them and fed them whenever they wanted. At 3am fed them their last meal and I went to sleep and they, quite graciously, didn't wake me up until sometime after 10am...how thoughtful!! And trust me...they would have been able to wake me sooner if they wanted...7 kittens crying at once isn't something you can sleep through. After that they played and slept until 3pm when they wanted more. I'm keeping a minimum of 3 feedings a day and when they want more they let me know. I'm here almost the entire day unless I work for an hour or two in the morning and then a few hours at night. I'm trying to let THEM tell ME when they are hungry and get them to work out their own schedule. They are sticking to about the same time schedule, which is about every 5 - 7 hours.

Two of my dogs seem to think they are the mothers...
Libby (my Miniature Pinscher) whom actually seems to think that she is their Mom, was never a good mother to her own single puppy that she had, but when it comes to kittens, if she doesn't get to be near them she gets really upset. *Rolls eyes*
Leila, our Shepherd absolutely loves them. She spends as much time as I'll allow just laying next to the pen and watching over them. When we hold one she watches us. She'll lick their heads =) Today when Webster was having his morning bottle she crawled up on the bed next to me while he finished. When he was done she kissed his feet - I put him back and she went back to laying on the floor with them.

*Whew, I think this was the longest post of my LIFE*
So that's that! I'll keep updates on here as they progress.

Awe, what a cute story! I seriously love the name Waffle and think it is so cute, and really want to see pictures of Walrus! Too cute and funny. I am so glad they have a great home with you and hope they thrive. Congrats on the new temporary fur kids! (Although you could always keep just one...:tease:)

Oy! I remember these days with puppies. If you think 7 kittens are noisy, try 9 hungry bloodhound mix puppies! Sounds like everyone's growing well, though, and I love how a pack instinct for infant care shows up in mixed households. That litter I co-fostered? Were taught manners by a very patient (and huge!) black cat named Yoda, who let them chase his tail just like a kitten and occasionally pinned them down to help us get the food off their faces. He never did "diaper duty" though. ;)

Please keep the updates coming, and pictures, as I'm sure you're aware, are always welcome. You'll miss them so much when they're grown up and gone.

I foster too! I currently have one 7 week orphan who is almost big enough to be adopted, and I have an 8 year old adult foster.

For future litters of yours, I highly recommend kitten attract litter. It is pricey, but you only have to sprinkle a little bit on the top. I haven't had any kittens not use the litterbox from day 1 since I started using it.

The funny thing is, is that Waffle does fit him! HA!
As far as keeping any, I have 5 cats here already!! It will be tempting, but I wont.

Wow, 9 bloodhounds...insane! The most I've had in my house at one time were 10 dogs...or was it 11?? Hmmmm...but anyways, 7 of those were all puppies - its a LOT of work!

Libby and Leila like to help clean their faces; Leila doesn't try the diaper duty, but Libby INSISTS on it...but I try not to let her because they really aren't needing the stimulation.

Tiatrack, I believe we have some litter attractor at work, I might try that out! Thanks!
What does your orphan look like?

I'm going to try to get pictures really soon here! I'm hoping that the shelter will lend me their camera for a few hours tomorrow.

Today Webster ate from a dish on his own! I had to use some magic skills :laughitup: but it worked! I figured out that he doesn't like the texture of the Liver&Chicken food, so I mixed up 2 liquid tablespoons of KMR, around 1/16 of the can of Salmon flavored food, and about a teaspoon of the Chicken baby food. I started him off with the bottle with just a tiny bit and then slowly lowered it to the bowl. I had to do it about 4 times, but he finally dipped his tongue in and started eating :dance3: I had to do some more convincing about twice, but then he ate almost the entire dish - Momma was proud!

I'll update in a few hours on any weight gains and hopefully tomorrow I'll have a camera to use!!

Sounds like a lot of funn!!! I love the 'W' names though!! Especially Walrus!

I know it!! I really like the name Waverly and Wysteria too. They are such sweet little girls. The funniest thing that the kittens have been doing is sitting down on the floor and looking up at the ceiling, watching the fan spin. Their little bodies move in tiny little circles and eventually they fall asleep...its like watching kitty hypnotism!:rofl2:

Well, I just caught Mr.Pip peeing outside of the box...here I thought he was perfect :innocent:
Silly me...

I weighed them just a minute ago, wanted to do it before they ate.

Webster was small when he first got here, but started gaining nice weight after being bottle fed. He's been going above his weight goals, so I'm happy that he's nice and healthy! He weighed in at 13.5oz yesterday and is up to 14.5oz today.

Pip did gain any weight for a little bit, but he was remaining steady and healthy. He weighed 22oz yesterday and is up to 23oz today.

Whistle weighed in at 18oz yesterday and is a nice 19oz today.

A few of the kittens that needed to do some catching up have succeeded in that today. :thumbsup:
Waverly weighed 11oz yesterday and was not gaining; today she is 12oz

Waffle weighed 13oz yesterday and shot up to 15oz today. He had some catching up to do...and apparently did!

Now for the kittens that I'm scratching my head about...:hmm:
Walrus was 14.5oz yesterday and tonight he is 13oz

Wysteria has been 12oz since Friday...no weight change...

Just had to update with some exciting news...
Well, ok...for ME it is...maybe not so much to the rest of the general pop. haha.

Webster has been eating from a bowl for a few days now, but I usually have to get him started. Just a minute ago I got lunch ready for the 6 others, came in, set the bowls down, walked out to go get Webster's bowl and when I came back...
Lo-and-behold! We was eating with the other ones!! I guess he got over the gritty texture of the Liver&Chicken!! This is such great news because he has been doing nothing but eating alone and now he just shared with two of the other kittens.:dance3:

ETA: Weight updates and PICTURES coming tonight!!! :)

No weights tonight, I missed it...but pics!! Even better.

First is Pip

4804_108391298932_502678932_2735861_542677_n.jpg

And Pip with Whistle
4804_108391308932_502678932_2735863_5204100_n.jpg

4804_108391313932_502678932_2735864_2922890_n.jpg

And now...for all you Desperate Housewives fans....

Wysteria!

4804_108396678932_502678932_2735962_3422464_n.jpg

4804_108396683932_502678932_2735963_6131487_n.jpg

4804_108396688932_502678932_2735964_5182962_n.jpg

4804_108396703932_502678932_2735966_3885927_n.jpg

That's all! I may try to get some weights on them since they are all up now and its been a little bit since they ate...and everyone's pooped - hehe.

*makes gimmee hands at Waverly* Shame Taller Half is allergic. :( They look great, and you're right, Walrus fits him perfectly! Especially with food all over his face. :D

The total pet count while we fostered those puppies was obscene. Aside from the 10 fosters (mama and babies), there were also 3 adult dogs that lived there full-time, 4 adult cats that were permanent residents, a foster cat, a fish tank, and two twenty-something year old women slowly losing our marbles. It was SO MUCH FUN! (and I'm never doing it again lol)

Weights:

Pip: Last weight was 23oz on Tuesday - tonight he is @ 25oz
Waffle: Last weight was 15oz on Tuesday - tonight he is @15oz
Walrus: Last weight was 13oz on Tuesday - tonight he is @ 12oz
Waverly: Last weight was 12oz on Tuesday - tonight she is @ 12oz
Webster: Last weight was 14.5oz on Tuesday - tonight he is @ 15oz
Whistle: Last weight was 19oz on Tuesday - tonight he is @ 19oz
Wysteria: Last weight was 12oz on Tuesday - tonight she is @ 12.5oz

Though I was hoping for more progress from them there are a couple of things that may have put weights a bit off:
1. I usually weigh them at around 7ish and tonight I weighed them around 12
2. They are getting less milk added to their food today...I'm trying to start transitioning them to soft food only for about a week...so far everyone is eating on their own alright, but I think that they are trying to get the hang of things and it may have put a few of them in a slump.

Will weigh again tomorrow and give the progress.

p.s. I'm so proud of Webster, he's been eating on his own all day like a big boy:kitty:

3c's: having over 10 dogs at a time is unforgettable isn't it! *wipes forehead* In addition to the gazillion dogs I had at one time (5 of them being our own), we also had 5 of our own cats and 4 chins at the time. The dogs alone keep your entire day busy...these kittens have me busy ALL day...but I love it. However, I will never have that many dogs at once again though. :hair:

Last edited:
How old are they now? I like to see them over a lb by 6 weeks. A few of yours seem be to on a backwards slide and none are gaining by leaps and bounds, so I'd be giving them 2 bottle feedings twice a day still to beef them up.

Are you offering them any dry food? I'm a huge fan of Royal Canin Baby Cat for younger orphans. The pieces are really tiny, so the little guys do well eating it.

They are really cute! How nice of you to foster such a BIG group. I tend to only do orphans due to space issues, but I'm also a foster mentor for other foster parents. One of my mentees had a pregnant cat that gave birth to 7, and it was a HUGE amount of work for her! Thankfully my only duties were worming and vaccinating them and they were perfectly healthy the 9 weeks she had them.

Pip is about 6 weeks, so he's good. The others are 5 weeks.
Yes, I don't like that a few of them are not moving along the way I'd like. One of them hates the bottle so I'm putting milk in a bowl.

No dry food just yet. With their mother abandoning them they were all still learning how to eat on their own when I got them. They are moving along the weaning process nicely and I'll be offering hard food soon. I don't know what I'll be given, I'd imagine Science Diet.

The last time I fostered any cats it was a mother who had 7 babies 2 days after I got her. It was a lot of work because some of them needed bottle feeding and when the mother broke through my window and left for a week when they were 4 weeks old I had to take over completely. I don't know what it is about me and 7 kittens, but that seems to be my number! ha!

Latest posts

Back