New dog soon enough

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

So I get to have a dog in May. I will be adopting one out from the shelter I volunteer at. I was just wondering what your experiences are with dog chews and dog food. What do you guys likes? I already researched on food and man every dog food that has commercials is bad for dogs with the corn they have in them.

For toys I stick with rope toys and kongs mostly. For treats mine get all natural treats.
My dogs eat Natural Balance.

We're feeding VeRus (not the worst, not the best), and some raw. I'm hoping to get my two dogs switched over to raw, or atleast half kibble/half raw... Moms dog won't eat any of the raw :(.

I don't know if I can do the raw diet personally unless is the raw diet a little different than barf. Cuz the whole lets have livers and such just yuck. I am easily squeemish.

From my understanding, Raw is different from BARF... Barf is "Bones and Raw food"(They use veggies in thier diets)

Raw is just yes--all raw meats. I'm doing the Raw and Meaty bones diet..Which yes--Does contain livers and organ meat. I think once I get a system down, it will be pretty easy over all to do. You need a precentage of meat, bone and organ meat averaged over the week. Right now they're only getting raw a few times a week..as I'm not totally comfortable that I can feed it correctly yet, so just getting them used to it.

I've gotten over my dislike of organs and such. Gavin got his first thing with a bone the other day- I sat there holding the other end of it, while he knawed so i knew he wouldn'te at the bone hole *sigh*

I feed Nutro Natural Choice, the oatmeal and chicken one. Can't say I recommend it though - it causes my puppy gas and she just doesn't seem to be doing well on it - she's going to be switched to something else when we get to the end of the bag. Something by Wellness or Blue Buffalo are going to be among my top pics.

As for toys, any of the kongs are good. My dog gets a lot of rawhide chews, so she always has something to chew (other than the furnature). She LOVES her squeaky toys...but she does like to rip up her stuffed ones, and I spend tons of time sewing them... ah well....

I have heard a lot of mixed things about rawhides. My childhood puppy (going on 16 in june) who still lives with the parents couldn't have them just because his stomach got upset on them. But I am not sure if they are actually good to give or not. Benji actually gets fed some really bad food after I found out about food....well not the worst, but still.

And how on earth is science diet so highly recommended by vets when most of it is corn? I just hate that people get paid to endorse something that's horrible for health.

I have heard a lot of mixed things about rawhides. My childhood puppy (going on 16 in june) who still lives with the parents couldn't have them just because his stomach got upset on them. But I am not sure if they are actually good to give or not. Benji actually gets fed some really bad food after I found out about food....well not the worst, but still.

And how on earth is science diet so highly recommended by vets when most of it is corn? I just hate that people get paid to endorse something that's horrible for health.

Now that's what I've heard about pig's ears...more specifically though, that they're coated with something that can upset a dog's stomach and make them vomit... I've never personally given my dog any pig's ears because of this (because she has enough health problems without me adding to them)...

Like I said, I do use rawhide, and my dog's fine with it, but I imagine it's like with any treat or chew kind of toy. Some dogs will be fine with it, others not. Some treats I'll give my dog and it's as if I gave her a laxative, but my friends' dogs do fine with them.

I've also heard people say that rawhide shouldnt be given because of sharp piecess? But I'm not really sure how true that is, and the reason I give it is because when my Kailey's chewing on it, by the time she's bitten off a piece small enough to swallow, it's all slimy and mushy.... maybe this would be a problem with a bigger dog, like a german shepard, that could swallow large pieces, but my sheltie always has the rawhide nice and slimy and not-hard-at-all by the time she's broken off a piece.

You know, it is a shame about the vets like that. I just read a book written by a vet, I think it was called It's a Dog's Life, But It's Your Carpet, and it was sort of like a question and answer book...and sure as...crap, when you got too the food section, it said to feed Iams or Purina. Um... no. How is it that no vets have ever seemed to have heard of Canidae or Wellness or Blue Buffalo, or any of the other "highly thought of" foods? Cause not only do they not recognize them, but my friends who feed them say that when the vet asks what they feed, and my friends tell them, they've literally never heard of it...

I believe that the vets are give an incentive to push the Science Diet that they sell at the vet office. I'm not sure if they're paid a percentage, but I do believe that I read that they do it because it benefits them.

As far as chews, Lila loves nylabones. And I love that they last her a long time. I just have a bunch of them and swap them out so she thinks she's getting a new one every so often. I do give her rawhides, but you do have to be careful as they can choke on them since they don't really chew them apart, they just chew them til they're mushy and then they swallow them whole.
Kongs were always a favorite too, I would put peanut butter and a treat in there and she'll lick on it forever. Or they also make a toy called a Tug-A-Jug that is really fun for dogs. You put treats or their food in it and they have to paw at it and pull a rope to get the treats/food out. So it takes them a while to eat and gives them mental stimulation.

I believe that the vets are give an incentive to push the Science Diet that they sell at the vet office. I'm not sure if they're paid a percentage, but I do believe that I read that they do it because it benefits them.

You know, it is a shame about the vets like that. I just read a book written by a vet, I think it was called It's a Dog's Life, But It's Your Carpet, and it was sort of like a question and answer book...and sure as...crap, when you got too the food section, it said to feed Iams or Purina. Um... no. How is it that no vets have ever seemed to have heard of Canidae or Wellness or Blue Buffalo, or any of the other "highly thought of" foods? Cause not only do they not recognize them, but my friends who feed them say that when the vet asks what they feed, and my friends tell them, they've literally never heard of it...

Depends on the vet as to whether or not they've heard of those diets... but consider: Purina, Science Diet/Hills, Iams/Eukanuba, and Royal Canin (and to some extent, Innova), have made an effort to educate veterinarians about their products. These companies have spent the money and time to do the research about what dogs and cats need nutritionally. They have spent the money to market their foods to vets - so now vets are comfortable with these products. Have these other companies everyone has been advocating done that? No wonder vets don't necessarily recommend their products - they don't know much about them. With hundreds of different brands out there, vets have no more idea than the average consumer what foods are good and what aren't. Therefore, they will recommend the diets they know, have been established for years, and that most animals do pretty well on. Most vets haven't got the time or inclination to research every single brand of food out there, and figure out whether it's any good or not. And prescription diets have a specific purpose, all three companies have all the same major categories of prescription diets, and what a vet uses is going to be whichever company they are most comfortable with, usually.

For most small clinics, btw, the kickback basically involves a relatively small employee discount on the food - just like with any other product the clinic might sell. Where I work, most of the employees don't buy food at the hospital even - it's more expensive than going to the pet store. If the owners buy food at a pet store instead of at the hospital - the hospital doesn't see that money, so no kickback. Sometimes the pet food companies, just like the pharmaceutical companies, might sponsor an employee meeting (i.e., buy everyone lunch and maybe have pens or post-it notes or something) to tell the clinic staff about one of their products. Good pharmaceutical and pet food company reps will also usually send the clinic a little something for the holidays (like, a box of chocolate). The profit on pet foods at a hospital is usually pretty small - the clinic is a relatively small buyer of food relative to a big chain pet store, so they don't get as much of a discount on the food they do buy to resell.

In my experience, hospitals sell nonprescription food more as a convenience to the client than for profit. They sell prescription food as a service to the pets, and with the price of pet food skyrocketing, figuring out how to do the best for the pet while keeping it affordable to the owner is getting to be more of a challenge.

As for corn - it's very well digested and utilized by both dogs and cats. Unfortunately, it appears to be a carbohydrate source that some animals can develop allergy to, and possibly more frequently than some of the other carbohydrate sources. But that doesn't mean that corn is evil in and of itself.

As for corn - it's very well digested and utilized by both dogs and cats. Unfortunately, it appears to be a carbohydrate source that some animals can develop allergy to, and possibly more frequently than some of the other carbohydrate sources. But that doesn't mean that corn is evil in and of itself.

Is corn really well digested an dutilized by dogs and cats? Everywhere else I've read when looking at discussions of dog foods have said that corn is not easily digested.

Is corn really well digested an dutilized by dogs and cats? Everywhere else I've read when looking at discussions of dog foods have said that corn is not easily digested.

That's what I was taught in school. So then I went to the vet forum and did a bit more reading - basically it comes down to (as far as I can tell): Cooked ground corn is a good source of protein and carbohydrates. It is not quite as good a source of protein as meat. But it's a lot cheaper so it gets used a lot. Some animals develop sensitivities to it, but beef, wheat, egg, chicken, fish are more likely to cause allergies (or more accurately, be a target for allergies). Some animals do better on a low or no corn/grain diet. Some animals do just fine on a regular corn/grain diet. Some vets have great success in putting an itchy dog on a no-grain diet... but they also do some other things at the same time, and it might not necessarily be the no grain, but something else about the diet that's helping. Whole or uncooked corn would not be very well used. But when cooked and ground up, all the useful bits are now easily exposed to the gut for absorption, so it works. Might not be the best ingredient to be the top one or two, but probably not bad if it's a little further down the list. Just like lots of other things. Dry foods need something to hold them together - once you get above a certain percentage of protein, a) it doesn't hold together and b) it becomes less palatable. That's why canned foods typically have less grains than dry foods.

There are more and more vets out there who are advocating more "alternative" diets. Holistic vets are especially at the forefront of this movement. But most vets are a little older, so they know and are comfortable with the foods they've always used. I personally tell people that if their pet is healthy, happy, not itchy, active, and has a good coat, it's probably working. If one or more of the above is not true for a particular pet, then we might talk about diet choice. I tell people to read the ingredients, not to be afraid of meals or by products (one means the ingredient is ground up, the other means that it's an animal part a human might not normally eat - and the legal definition does not allow nondigestible parts get called a byproduct). I tell them that there are plenty of good diets out there, that the big companies have the most research behind them, but the smaller ones are probably using information published by the big companies. The brand new little companies don't have as much time behind their diets... but the big companies also reformulate their diets from time to time. I tell people that what they feed is a personal choice (though I do try to say something to discourage them from feeding whatever is cheapest) and if they're going to go with a particular company that has multiple lines of food (e.g., Purina has the Chows, the Ones and the ProPlans), to go with the highest quality of that brand's food (in this case, the ProPlan, which happens to be what I feed my cat). I tell people who are home cooking or raw feeding that I strongly recommend they talk to a nutritionist to make sure it's balanced and offer to get them phone numbers (most of these people decline...), and to be very careful with the handling of the food. I don't generally tell them not to do it (though I might if the animal had immune problems or had an illness where that diet wasn't a good idea - e.g., a pancreatitis dog who was getting a lot of fatty meat). I tell people who don't seem to have done much research into home cooking that it's probably better for their dog to feed a formulated diet, especially if these people don't seem interested in learning. But "it's doing fine" and/or "my parents fed their farm dogs like this for years and they always did ok." *sigh*

My favorite two would be the client who feeds their chihuahua a combination of kitten food and table scraps because he won't eat anything else (maybe because he knows they'll give in and give him the tastier stuff?) and the Scottish deerhound who gets forcefed three times a day a variety of rather interesting things (whole boiled eggs, raw and cooked ground meat, yoghurt, fish oil, "super fat balls" (which ingredients I never did figure out), rotisserie chicken, PetTabs among other things...) because he didn't eat well on his own (would you if you were forcefed three times a day?)... and the breeder she got the dog from is a Nationally Renowed Deerhound Nutrition Expert and Says That This Diet Is Fine, so referral to a veterinary nutritionist isn't necessary...

My dogs get ...all american rawhides? Its a brand... I think thats the name. Anyway it doesn't have to go through the same chemical treating as ones do from out of the country. And it is a heavier bone so it takes them longer.

Latest posts

Back