New Chin Owner - I Think She's Preggers

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHermit

Hello! My name is Kailan, I know this isnt the introduction thread but I must hop off to work and make this quick.
I work at a PetSmart and three weeks ago a customer brought a chinchilla to my attention, who was just sitting in one of our aisles. We don't sell them so I knew she didn't belong in the store, and I quickly caught her and paged over the intercom for her owners. No one came, and after two days of waiting, we deduced she was abandoned. I was going through a tough time and had no doubts that she was meant for me, so I took her home. I know my caging isn't adequate right now (I have a Ferret Nation that is currently occupied by 4 rats, so she's in a guinea pig cage), but it will change. I have Oxbow pellets for her, timothy hay, ledges to jump on and dried papaya for treats.
Anywho, so I got to thinking why she would be dumped. Her coat is gorgeous, eyes, nose & ears all clear. Her temperment is rather social for a chin in a new home, or any animal in a new home, so she was well socialized (walks onto my hands and arms, takes treats, etc). But she is also rather pudgy and bipolar. She will let me pet her and take treats one day, and the next day she's spraying urine at me and making the "danger!" noise.
I was hoping her pudge was a small case of bloat from the change in diet (I have no idea what her previous caretakers were feeding her), but it's been weeks and she's always poo'd like a machine, and eats and drinks well.
Yesterday I noticed she was sleeping on her side. She doesn't stretch or roll around as if she had bloat. I'm worried I have a pregnant chin. When I hold her (gently), and lightly put my fingertips to her tummy, it's firm but not hard and doesn't feel very large. Her nipples aren't showing but I also haven't located them.
I know I shouldn't handle her for a while unless she comes to me.
What is the chance that she is indeed pregnant? How should I prepare? Her cage bar spacing is pretty wide so if she's due I'm halving off the rat cage (its a double FN) and putting her in there, though the rats will be awful miffed.

Mark 111 days on the calendar from when you found her. That will be her last possible due date. I wuld get a gram scale and weigh her, look for any gain. Keep her in a baby proof cage, fns are not baby proof. What are you feeding her? How long have you had her?

Some chins are naturally pudgy, in fact, a lot of the chins at shows are what people not accustomed to it might think as fat. And many times chins will sleep on their sides, not just pregnant ones. I think it would be hard for you to know for sure if she is pregnant, other than like the previous poster stated, getting a scale that can weigh in grams and monitor her weight. Make sure and weigh her at the same time each day. If you find it hard to contain her to weigh her, I've used those plastic reptile carriers for this purpose and just subtract the weight of the carrier from the total.

As also stated, a ferret nation cage is not baby proof either. You'll need to find something with at minimum 1/2" x 1/2" holes. A temporary solution would be to wrap the whole cage in hardware cloth, but make sure there are no holes big enough for a baby to escape. They can escape a FN easily.

They can squeeze through sideways? Or does it matter that mine is technically a CN (I use them interchangably as Im used to Rat forums :3), I measured the bars and they are less than 1/2" but they are more than 5" across.

I am feeding her Oxbow Chinchilla Diet (pellets) made from Alfalfa so I also have Oxbow Timothy Hay. Her "treats" (no more than one a day) are Papaya Toppings by Kaytee.

I am definitely getting the scale, it's something I've needed for a while but have neglected to get.

Is it OK to let her free range? I open up the cage inside my bedroom door (In a basement apartment, she's in my living room right outside my bedroom) and leave it there for her to return to as she pleases.

Kit proofing is more than just wire spacing. You will also need to block off the upper levels. Kits can climb like little monkeys within hour of birth and will climb to the top and then fall. Removing most of the shelves is also recommended so that mom does not hide from the kits or jump down and land on them.

Treats should be no more than one or two a week, not daily and papaya should not be given to them. Chinchillas should not have fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, or dairy of nay kind. These items can cause serious health issues. A safe treat is a plain cheerio or an non-frosted shredded wheat.

I would not let a pregnant chin free roam. Too many things could go wrong.

Her nipples will be more on the sides of her belly, where the white fur turns into gray fur. My female chin has always been a pudgey girl. I agree that you should not let her roam around if you are worried that she is pregnant. Especially if you have to catch her... you don't want to hurt her belly if there are kits in it. For kit proofing the cage, you can attach hard wire mesh to the sides and top/bottom. I bought some at home depot and spent two nights setting the cage up. Kits are definitely little ninjas!

Latest posts

Back