New Captain's Log from the Starship Chinterprise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
Goodness, can you believe the boys are almost a year old! (Born 1/1/13) They are so sweet, and who would have imagined that grumpy Scotty would be the one that is calmest when held?

They are in their teenage boy stages and have, um, discovered themselves (which makes it easy to check for hair rings).

Ian accidentally left one of the doors on the cage unlocked and Scotty got out for awhile... now, if we don't give them playtime before bed, they both pull and chew on the bars of the cage. Sigh. It motivates us to let them play though, which has been really good for our bonding.

Scotty loves running on the flying saucer, he does it every night. The hilarious thing is that he waits until we have turned off the lights and get in bed. If we turn off the lights and go in the living room to watch TV, nothing. But as soon as we are going to bed and turn the lights off, he's running!

James loves to ride on my left shoulder. It may just be his favorite place in the world. One time, when I laid down on the ground during playtime, he rolled in my hair like it was his dust bath... I wasn't sure if I should be offended!! :)

They both HATE yellow loofahs. No idea why, it's just their chin thing. We have a lot of fun annoying them though. Ian will put all of their toys in their houses so they have to pull them all out. I like putting all of their toys on high up shelves because I think it is hilarious to see them swat them down to the cage floor in disgust! Ha ha!

Anyway, that's our little update! Enjoy the attached photos!
szBMGf9h.jpg

NxLnbG7h.jpg

q0Xj7rKh.jpg

0eflxszh.jpg

Scotty loves running on the flying saucer, he does it every night. The hilarious thing is that he waits until we have turned off the lights and get in bed. If we turn off the lights and go in the living room to watch TV, nothing. But as soon as we are going to bed and turn the lights off, he's running!

my chins do that sometimes as well. They use it as a form of communication when they want attention from me. (of course that doesn't mean they will actually come over if i approach...) They will just hope on, start running, then stop and stare at me.

my chins do that sometimes as well. They use it as a form of communication when they want attention from me. (of course that doesn't mean they will actually come over if i approach...) They will just hope on, start running, then stop and stare at me.

The best part is he does stare at us until we get in bad. All we can think is that he is screaming mentally "Get in bed already! I want to run!!!" If we get up and turn off the lights, he jumps to a ledge, stares at us like nothing was happening at all. We turn off the lights, back he goes :D

oh yea, mine too lol
they will go at it on the wheel, but when we look over at them they just stop and stare at us, or hope to a ledge and stare at us. As soon as we stop watching them they start up on the wheel again'

The most amusing tho is when one of my girls is just idly standing on the wheel and a second chin decides to hop on and go for a run while the first is still standing there. The second one enters a sudden moment of panic when it starts moving. Or if shes particularly calm that day, she will just continue to stand there in the others way lol.

Even though your boys are in their teenage phase there are somethings chins just dont grow out of. I have one who still throws tantrums and tugs at the bars to be let out to play. I like to tease him when he's pouty and poke his belly, this just makes him dig at my fingers until he gets his way. Its fun to have these interactions.

I have no idea what his thought process is, and in the end I don't really care. They are my little guys, and I love them to death. Quirks and all! Even if they throw a fit and literally throw yellow loofahs out of the cage... Even if Scotty wall jumps off of my face... Even if James and Scotty pull at the bars all day. They're my little pains! Ha ha! :)

They are adorable! It's amazing to me too to just sit and watch them sometimes. ZZ is so laid back and carefree and Marble gets in a huff so easily, but is a total lovebug.

It always amuses me when people don't "get it" - that half the fun of having a pet like a chinchilla is just watching their personalities and quirks.

Latest posts

Back