New cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horslvr123

Here are some pics of the cage my husband made for me.. Its just an old cabinet I got at a garage sale this summer and have been using it as a catch all.
The other pic is of my daughter and her "chin cheelas" as she calls them. These were taken just a couple days ago.
And this morning, my daughter comes to me and says she brought a baby apple stick in for the baby chinchilla.. I just laughed until I went to put it in for them and lo and behold.. there was a baby chinchilla running around.. Cute little bugger.. I will take pics and post them in a day or so..

Attachments

• new chin cage 001.jpg
    new chin cage 001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 63
  • new chin cage 002.jpg
    new chin cage 002.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 58
  • new chin cage 003.jpg
    new chin cage 003.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 64
That is a very nice cage. He did a great job.

I would caution you though that finished wood can be toxic to your chin, not to mention the wood itself. I see the inside of the cage on the top is not covered with melamine but it is accessable from the top shelf. Anywhere that there is exposed wood of the dresser needs to be covered, including the top and the bar that goes down the middle for support.

I agree with Peggy. Cover those areas and you will be good to go.

I also want to mention that the mom and baby should be moved to a kit safe cage. While the wire opening in your cage is fine, the size of it can be deadly to a kit. The mom can stay up top and not feed the kit, or can accidentally jump on the kit. The kit can also fall from the top. All in all, something that big with a mom and baby is a tragedy waiting to happen.

My husband is putting a divider in it today to seperate the other chin. So mom and baby will only have the bottom half..And I will have him put the malamine on the ceiling...

Completely missed the baby part. You'll need to go further than splitting the cage. You'll also need to remove all the shelves. A baby can climb a wire cage and get onto a shelf (though it's really not ideal) but a smooth sided melamine cage won't work. Mom needs to stay close by where she can nurse her kit, and just as importantly, keep it warm. If she decides to get up on those shelves, you could lose the kit to either starvation or cold.

Back