New cage and soon to be new apartment

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

So Smokey is definitely the typical I hate change chinchilla. We are moving next week and just got a new cage that the 2 girls can be split into(top and bottom). Bria never cares about change...except when Smokey first showed up:impatient:. So I am not too concerned with her being stressed and getting into the cage too quickly.
Smokey I am not sure how much time would you think I should give her before I put her in the new cage. I was thinking maybe 2 weeks to adjust, but I am not sure if that will push her too much or not because its certain things. She adjusted quickly to me when she first got here. She didn't take to well to when she had to come with me to my parents over thanksgiving as I was still treating her paw from Bria's nasty bite to it.
I also wonder if the new move will make them both in a different state of mind and capable of at least having playtime together.

Any tips for Smokey?

I would start giving them acidophilus now, and continue for awhile after you move. If after 2 weeks, you notice that Smokey's poops are fine, then I would move her into the new cage. You may be right, if she is that sensitive to change, best to take it slowly. Let her get adjusted to the new surroundings in a familiar cage, and then once she seems to be doing fine, switch her to the new cage.

And moving may give them a new neutral territory, so you could try playtimes together again and see how it goes. I dunno if you've done the side-by-side cage thing, or whisker trimmings, but those help too.

Best of luck!

Back