Neglected Chins :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseman91

Hello!
I'm new to Chins N Hedgies, but not new to caring for these animals. I previously only had one Chin, but recently came across this craigslist ad of this woman getting rid of her daughter's chinchillas- A mother, father, and their (what I would guess to be) 6 week old baby. They are obviously lacking proper care and I don't know where to start. Their fur is matted with feces and has never been brushed, they have very soft poop, and they were living in filth when we showed up to get them. At this point, I couldn't resist taking them. She "just wanted these things gone." So basically what I'm getting at, is where do I begin? Is there a diet or vitamin anyone can suggest to help with their stool?
Thanks!!

First, separate them if you haven't already and count 111 days to be sure Mom isn't pregnant again. Keep her in a baby safe cage (1/2 x 1/2 to 1 inch bar spacing, no shelves, wheel, etc.) until those days are up in case she does give birth, so that the babies aren't born without you knowing and escape or get injured from a cage that isn't meant for them. They will obviously need to remain separate to prevent more babies. If her baby is a male, he may be able to live with dad.

The best thing you can do is get them on a high quality pellet and timothy hay. The soft stool may be from a bad diet/stress/parasites. Do you have a chin competent vet? I would take a stool sample in to get tested to see if they do have any parasites so that you can start treatments and necessary protocol for getting rid of it. On that note, you should keep these new chins quarantined from your previous chins so that anything contagious is not spread. If there are no parasites, the switch to a better quality diet should help clear up the stools. Offer lots of timothy hay as the high fiber helps bind the stool. You can also give acidophilus, a beneficial probiotic.

You can try pulling the mats out of the fur and giving lots of dust baths. Using a grooming comb or fine tooth comb can help, but you'll probably just have to pull the mats out yourself if they are really bad. Gently tugging on them with your fingers seem to do the trick.

Good food, clean housing, no vitamins are needed unless there is a severe deficiency, the best thing is the hay and good pellet ( NOTHING with treats in it), and a probiotic sure wouldn't hurt.

Good luck, post pics, and keep in touch!

Everyone has been brushed out and taken plenty of baths, and looking MUCH better. I still don't have names for everyone, but their behavior has improved greatly. I appreciate everyone's help!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355951981.542370.jpg

Back