Need your opinion guys!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinamayhem

Marina
I have recently posted in a yardsale group on Facebook for my town asking if anyone had a Ferret Nation / Critter nation cage. A lady messaged me saying she has a " three tier ferret cage with a lock on the cage for $20 OBO". I'm just curious to know what your opinion on this price is! I've replied requesting for pictures and she told me to give her a few minutes. I'm not quite familiar with cage names and stuff so I was just wondering if this cage would be appropriate for two chinchillas?

She could mean any number of things by that description. I have seen people call little cages "three tiered" if they have a few shelves in there. To be safe I would ask for a photo and then post it on here and we could better tell you if it is a suitable cage for a chin :)

Definitely get a photo! If its an actual FN, that's an absolute STEAL. If its just a flimsy wire pet store mess full of plastic, I'd probably avoid it. Getting the dimensions of the cage would be good, too.

UPDATE!: She sent me this picture:
3hBWAHM.jpg

With the description: "it's just like this with three shelves". She didn't explain the type of shelves it was but if the shelves aren't good when I receive it, my mom's boyfriend can easily make some wooden shelves for them. I'm not sure if this is an actual ferret nation cage? She just referred to it as a ferret cage in general. Let me know your thoughts on if it's good and what things need to be modified please, as I am picking it up Monday at 5!

That is a Super Pet cage not a Ferret Nation. That cage will work for awhile but my guess is you will soon get tired of trying to clean it let alone catch a chin in it. The shelves that come with it are plastic so they will have to be replaced. Putting wood shelves in helps a lot to stabilize it too. A Chin Spin will barely fit in it and will quickly break the cage bars unless you reinforce the mounting points.

pPETS-3762649t400.jpg

Here's what the stock photo of the cage is for you. Like mentioned above, you will probably end up getting sick of trying to clean it and the wheel nonsense. I had a different cage from Super Pet at first and I hated it. I have it at my mom's house now, so when I go home for breaks to whatever Stanley has to use it, but I still feel so bad for him when he does. Since chins do live for so long, if it's feasibly possible for you, I would invest in a Ferret Nation. I just got one last month and love it. It's so easy to clean and my little guy has enough room. I know that they're an expensive investment, but you can usually find them cheap if you search for Craigslist. I got mine brand new off of ferret.com for about $215 after taxes and including shipping.

You could use it, try to negotiate on the price. ;) Those cages aren't bad as long as the chins do not chew the bottom. You can put in wooden shelves and ledges, make sure to stagger them to prevent any injuries from falling a long way.

It isn't a cage that I particularly like because it is so difficult to clean. You have to lift the bottom off the pan or clean up through the little door. Picking up that cage once you have all the shelves in side is going to be difficult. I remember a customer rigging up a rope and pulley system to aid in picking it up off the base because it was just too heavy to lift.

If you buy it, it would be best to scrub it down with soapy bleach water....wipe down the pan and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes so it can kill everything on the plastic. Rinse very well after you are done. If there are any white urine deposits on the pan, you can use vinegar to clean them off.

Back