Need to keep chilla cool without electricity!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a chin should never be in an environment where they cannot have air conditioning if the weather dictates they need it.

if you do not have any power where your chins are, and the weather is above 70, then you need to move your chin to a place with air conditioning. there is no way around it.

I was in a hurry, and couldn't include much. I am in town for the first and possibly only time until southern Ohio regains electricity. The temperature is expected to be over 100 and th electric company has told people it is expected to be four to six days. What can I do to keep my chins cool, there is no where with electricity/air conditioning I vandals them, the surrounding towns dont have power either, and the streets are a mess.

Do you have a basement? Basements are cooler than the upstairs of homes.

Make a homemade a/c. They look goofy but everybody says they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR9CA8lJGvs

There are a bunch of links like that on youtube. It's not super expensive, will probably cost you $30 or $40.00. Well worth it to keep your chin safe and cool. Probably will feel pretty good to you too if it's going to be that hot. One of those is supossed to easily keep a small room cool, like a bedroom. Just stock up on ice.

Do you have a basement? Basements are cooler than the upstairs of homes.

Make a homemade a/c. They look goofy but everybody says they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR9CA8lJGvs

There are a bunch of links like that on youtube. It's not super expensive, will probably cost you $30 or $40.00. Well worth it to keep your chin safe and cool. Probably will feel pretty good to you too if it's going to be that hot. One of those is supossed to easily keep a small room cool, like a bedroom. Just stock up on ice.
I hadn't ever heard of such a thing, thanks.

There is no where to go. From what I've been told powers out in a lot of the state. I've thought of going to a hotel, but with roads closed and overcrowded, and the hotels within driving distance full, I'm trying to cool them at home. I'm also worried about getting them in a car right now, in case of an accident, or sickness caused be you stress. I don't want them to be in the car during another storm or a wreck. Ice is even hard to get, and people are traveling to buy ice.

There's no where to stay within driving distance, apparently most of southern Ohio is having problems, so everyone sort of migrated. I heard fans don't have any effect on them, do battery fans help?

For very temporary coolness you can pack a carrier in ice. I used to have a large freezer that I kept stocked with frozen 2 liter and juice bottles to wrap up and put in cages. Now we have a generator just in case the power goes out and we need it, we just hook it up to window a/c units and that keeps the chins cool.

I hope you get your electricity back very soon.

A fan is a fan. If it's 100 degrees then you are blowing around 100 degree air. That isn't going to cool anything because chins can't sweat. For a fan to cool you, you have to sweat so the air can cool you off.

There are a lot of chin folks in northern Ohio. I'm assuming you're down in the southern area? Maybe we can help find you somewhere to take them until this crisis has passed. I would worry a LOT less about the stress of them being in the car than them dying from heat stroke. I have traveled for 16 hours plus spent the night in my truck with the engine running and the a/c cranked and they were absolutely fine.

I am not sure where you are located but I live only about 4 hours from Columbus and it is an easy trip right down 70 east. My power is fine and I'd be more than happy to let a chin spend a night or 2 in my air conditioned basement if need be as long as you had them in their own travel cage/carrier. I had no idea the crisis was this bad. FYI There are also several hotels nearby.

Where are you exactly? I'm in southern Ohio and we've been ok so far. (knocking on wood) my vet and e-vet both board, there are some breeders in the area who also May be willing to help out.

I also am in southern Ohio and knock on wood have had no problems. I think it depends on whether or not trees were knocked down in your area and whether or not lines are above or below ground in your area. List your area and we can give you the names of some vets.

I found out today that u can order a generator from amazon. As long as it is small enough u can probably have it delivered next day. I ordered one for my parents today and it will ship tomorrow morning and b there by tuesday. I had to shop around and check delivery date on several different units, but i found a Briggs & Stratton for $460 that would output just over 4000 watts. I don't kno if this is in ur budget, but if u can hold out for a couple days this might help u.

Latest posts

Back