need opinions please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Ferret Nation 141 is very similar in size, being only 5 inches wider than this cage. This one is ok, but ramps are not necessary or recommended and some pine ledges should be put in it along with the 2 metal ledges it already has. This one weighs 32 pounds and the Ferret Nation weighs about 50 pounds, so I would think the FN141 is more durable. Both cages are fine whichever you decide.

Just my opinion :)

it looks like a decent cage, but i would think it would be a bit of a pita to clean and get your chin out with the oval shaped door. the fn is much easier to clean.
i also have used in the past, the feisty ferret and with that cage only one side of the doors open, also making it a little more difficult to clean and pull a chin out. especially in an emergency situation.

also wanted to add, that you could probably get a FN for about the same price. there was a sale last week and it would have been even less!

i have a cage from quality cage co., and it's quite lovely. because i only have rutherford, i got the chinchilla townhouse starter package that came with food bowl, water bottle, 3 pine shelves, and an exercise wheel. it has a pull-out tray at the bottom so cleaning and changing the bedding is really easy. i just bought more pine shelves to make more levels for rutherford to move about. it has a relatively large cage door, which helped a lot when i first started interacting with rutherford... it was big enough that i had room to move my arms inside his cage without being hindered by anything. but at the same time, it was small enough that my upper torso blocked it so rutherford can't escape. oh, and you'd buy a cage stand so it raises the cage off the floor by a few inches. here's the website in case you're interested: http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_142_153&products_id=625

thank you for all the replies.

i have some questions about the FN141.

does it have metal shelves and metal ramps, or are these plastic?

also, how big is the bar spacing?

see, i want a good cage for my chin, but i also want something i could use in future, if ever i have smaller pets (such as rats) later on.

i will not have the money for afew months, but i am trying to make the best decision i possibly can. :hmm:

One of my friends actually has that cage. Not a bad cage, by any means, but I persuaded her to take out the ramps and we put in another 3 wooden shelves, and the chins now have a ton more room to run around and hop around in there. The odd door, surprisingly, was not a problem for her (or for me, when I was helping with shelves) - the tiny bar spacing makes putting up shelves a breeze.

I don't have a FN, so I'll let someone else answer your questions about that....

omg, this is soooo great!!!!

thank you all for the replies.

since you know somebody who has this cage, i have a zillion questions for ya.

firstly, was it easy to assemble? i am not very patient with assembling things. i cried and cussed at my flying saucer when i put it together (and i still did not do it correctly at the time).

is this thing very heavy? does it feel like 32 lbs, or like it weighs much more?

how do you clean it? do you have to take the whole thing apart, or can you easily reach all poops through the door?

do the door locks really work? are they easy to use?

can this cage be used without the legs, by just setting the cage part on a tabletop?

was it easy to get the ramps out when your friend wanted to do so?

thank you for your time and patience. i am so thrilled i finally found somebody who can give me firsthand info from personal experience with this cage. :dance3:

I have to agree with Michelle. The cage looks nice but will be difficult to clean/get the chin out with that small door. If you are looking for smaller bar spacing have you considered the Critter Nation? They are supposed to be very easy to assemble as the pieces all snap in place.

I'm not sure about the size of the bars either...they look like the may be pretty flemsy and may not be able to hold a heavy shelf well. I know on one of my superpet cages, the wires lacked strength and one actually broke and I had a chin escape through it. Just from my observation..they may be strong. I also agree about the door. I much prefer the full width opening doors of the FN's because I no longer have to pull a muscle when trying to reach a far back corner of the cage...

see, i want a good cage for my chin, but i also want something i could use in future, if ever i have smaller pets (such as rats) later on.

Chinnies can live 10-20 years.. so after that long you might want to consider buying a new cage anyways if you get a new small pet after your chinnie has crossed the rainbow bridge.

I'm going to recommend the FN141 also.. they are sturdier than the Prevue and with the full-side open doors, cleaning will be easier and will make getting your chinchilla out A LOT easier. I own 3 FN142's and they are a breeze to clean and I can interact with my chinnies easily.

If you are capable of ordering on Amazon, they are about $123 (I see this price for this cage on there all the time) with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-141-F...UNCG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287692124&sr=8-2

thank you all for the replies.

to be honest with you, i am surprised you guys would suggest the critter nation. judging from the pic i found, it sure looks like the ramps are wire to me. that would really not be safe, would it? :hmm:

yes, i know chins can live 10 to 20 years. i may not post much, but i have done loads of research. believe me.

also, i think some of you are misunderstanding me. the cage will not be immediately given to my chinchilla. it will be used by a smaller pet first. he will hopefully live afew more years, then my chin can use the cage. this is why it must have small bar spacing.

unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find info on my little guy, even on the net. so i just have to make the best decisions i can, and hope they are the right ones.

i am open to the FN 141 or 142, but i would not want anything with plastic in it, nor anything with wire ramps.

any more advice/input is welcome.

If you get a FN or CN you take out all the ramps and the shelves that come with it and the pans. All you have left is the main part of the cage, the bare bones really.

If you are going to use it for a smaller pet, you can put ramp covers on the wire ramps. The newer cages come with them or you can make your own.

99% of us take out the shelf and ramp that come with the cage and replace it with homemade pine shelves. I made an entire cage full of shelves for under $15, including the hardware to hang them.

I've yet to see a new cage for sale that has pine shelving. I think all of us no matter what cage we get take everything out and build back pine shelves etc etc

My own homemade wheels are 16x4 and even fat boy can run on it, my wheel is this pan so no slant.

http://cooksdream.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code=FDPRD164

I think you meant to put this in the thread about the wheel. :p

I've yet to see a new cage for sale that has pine shelving. I think all of us no matter what cage we get take everything out and build back pine shelves etc etc

There are a few cages that come with wood shelves already.

Ware Natural Wood Cage-carried at Petsmart

pPETS-8686103t400.jpg

Quality Cage has several different cages that come with pine shelves. Here is a picture of one of their cages they offer.

CNS-48-2D.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back