need new vacuum

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
Any suggestions for a good one you've had? There are just a lot of different models out there and was wondering if I could get a few opinions. Thanks

Last edited:
No, actually it is way quieter than the 5 gallon I had 6 years ago. I was very surprised. I fully expected to need ear plugs, but it's not much louder than my 20 x 20' hepa filter on high.

i use a shop vac for the big clean ups and it is a little noisy but they get used to it. i have to say the suck value is worth any noise. nothing cleans my between my cages and under my cages better than the shop vac. and i have tried about 5 or 6 different vacuums!!

So I got a 9gallon 3.5 HP shop vac and it's terribly loud and got clogged within 5 minutes of cleaning. Darn hay. I'm going to return it and get the bigger one as suggested....was hoping to save a few dollars but guess that's not happening!

Does anyone have success with a non-shop vac? I don't really have $300 at the moment and our smaller vacuum died a few days ago. :( Of course, I didn't realize I'd be using it for hay when I bought it so I think it did really well considering how much we put it through.

Does anyone have success with a non-shop vac? I don't really have $300 at the moment and our smaller vacuum died a few days ago. :( Of course, I didn't realize I'd be using it for hay when I bought it so I think it did really well considering how much we put it through.

I didn't pay anywhere near $300 for my Shop Vac. If I remember correctly it was more around $80.

So I got a 9gallon 3.5 HP shop vac and it's terribly loud and got clogged within 5 minutes of cleaning. Darn hay. I'm going to return it and get the bigger one as suggested....was hoping to save a few dollars but guess that's not happening!

The standard hose usually does get clogged. I bought a wider one. You can find them at any home improvement store.

I didn't pay anywhere near $300 for my Shop Vac. If I remember correctly it was more around $80...The standard hose usually does get clogged. I bought a wider one. You can find them at any home improvement store.

Oh I know what I did! I went to the Industrial Section! Silly me! that's such a relief. I didn't realize you could get different hoses. I'll have to check that out too! Thanks Stackie!

The 20 gallon was $160. I imagine the smaller ones are less. You just want the widest hose possible.

I got my shop vac at Home Depot for $100. It is a 14 gallon with big hoses and it has the quiet technology. I LOVE IT!!!!
Essentia laughs at me because I'm always telling her how much I love my shop vac. :)
Best $100 I ever spent!
The chins don't mind it and even come check out the hose while I'm cleaning.
It is still a little loud but nothing like a regular shop vac.

You just laugh at me! :laughitup:

I use it in the cages almost as much as out.:thumbs:
But it is great with the carpet.
I like being able to just stick it in the cage and make the mess go away versus sweeping it out.

I bought a Bissell Powerforce bagged vacuum for 30 or 40 bucks (forgot if it was on sale) a little while back, in the fall I think.

It works great, hose has gotten clogged once with a sock and that was only because I wasn't holding the hose straight, when I did the sock went into the bag and I got it out.

I haven't changed bags yet either; still on the first one. I try to be mindful of how much it's vacuuming up as I've yet to buy more bags for it but I have sucked up a bunch of hay with it.

I use the upholstery attachment for Chloe's fleece also.

The hose is rather short though. That's my only negative.

I went ahead and snatched up a shop vac. I got the portable 4gal because it had better suction than the 6gal. ^.^
Thanks for the advice!

I got my shop vac at Lowe's for $25 on sale. The hose it comes with does get clogged, but now I have his cage on linoleum instead of carpet so I just sweep up first. If you can't do that, get an office plastic floor mat and put it under the cage, sweep up most of the hay, then vacuum.

i have gone through 3 regular vacuums. one little stick vac, two bissell canister ones, and im now on a eureka, and it sucks...and not in a good way. constantly clogs with hay. is there a particular brand of shop vac that you guys would suggest?

should have read the 'shop-vac' thread before posting on here I suppose. But does anyone know if gallon size makes a big difference as far as performance? I mean, say you could find a 5 gallon shop vac but still with the same horsepower as one of the bigger ones, would that work just as well?

Back