Need info on quarantine to convince a friend

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiaSpice

Wheel Cleaner X2
This friend of mine has a hedgehog and a girl at her job wants to get rid of hers so she will gave it to my friend. My friend take care of her girl, Noisette (Hazel) but he doesn't even knew about quarantine. I want to explain it to her and give good argument, because if I don't she might just say, oh it's not a big deal. I know mites can be caught, but what else?

just let her know that from one environment to another the animals can get sick from stress, and transmit it to the others. Thats besides mites. Tell her quarantine does not cost anything but bringing two and more animals to the vet for sickness transmitted by the new one is. That's besides the possiblitity of losing them.
Quarantine is a smart way to go when you bring a newbee in the house and for all animals at that.

Nobody likes sudden changes, not people, not animals. Seems like it would be only fair to let the newbie relax into his/her new environment before having to deal with another stressor (animal).

I see it like this. If a person doesnt hang around children a lot and they spend the day or a week or whatever with them they will most likely get sick. But you will notice their teachers and parents don't get sick. Know why? Because they have "germs" that they are used to that a person who doesn't hang around kids is not used to.

Same goes for animals. Certain "germs" can be healthy to one animal but when introduced too quickly to another(without having time to build up an immunity to the environment "germs") the other animal can get sick. Especially when the stress of a move can lower the immune system. Or the stress of a roommate can lower the immune system as well.

It doesn't cost anything and it will be over before she knows it.

thanks for the arguments. I'm gonna speak to her about that next week, cause I tried to scare her a bit but I want to be prepare for things like "she doesn't apear sick" etc, because in her present appartment (she'll be moving soon) she doesn't really have a separate room for another one.

thanks for the arguments. I'm gonna speak to her about that next week, cause I tried to scare her a bit but I want to be prepare for things like "she doesn't apear sick" etc, because in her present appartment (she'll be moving soon) she doesn't really have a separate room for another one.

For rebutting the comment "she doesn't appear to be sick" you can explain to her hedgehogs dont show symptoms of illness much. They try to hide illness and injury.

And for the apartment being too small and not having the room. If there is a bed room and a living room.. there are two separate rooms right there. I think if she doesnt have the room for both then she probably shouldnt take in another one.

well she will have the room when she'll move, but I don't know if it's September 1st or later. Now she's living with friend and Noisette is in the kitchen and already botters her room mate. Her soom is so small she can't even but a sterlight bin in it. I guess she'll wait after the move.

She doesn't tread her hedgie badly, but she's not as informed as me. She used to be on a french forum and it closed and she doesn't seem interested on joining here so I'm passing along the info.

Back