Need help with planning a long distance travel with my chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkatxrinax

Hello everyone,

I'm moving back home to Ireland from england in March and I'll be driving over in a car with my mother and sister. The entire journey will be over 24 hours but that includes an overnight stay in a hotel.

I want to bring my two chinchillas with me as I couldn't ever bear to part with them. I need some advice from anyone who has traveled with chinchillas before about what I should do and what they need etc. In the car they will be in a pet carrier on my lap so I can comfort them and i'm going to cover it so they can't see out. Any advice on what type of carrier will be best for them? and what I need to put in it?

Any advice and experiences would be much appreciated :)

What kind of carrier do you usually use for vet trips?

I am guessing there will be a ferry involved ... as I don't believe amphibious cars are practical yet ...

I have no idea about a ride that long, but ill be moving soon myself. I'm looking at a 2-3 hour trip once on the road. I have several basic plastic small animal carriers. Usually i don't like anything plastic around my chins, but this is the one (and probably only) item they usually don't mess with. (Plus with 5 chins and two ferrets, my options are limited).

The one thing i am looking to do is take some of my extra fleece and make a pillow like thing for the bottom of the carrier. Something that's comfortable for them, and at the same time and be used as a pad in-case they have to go pee. I certainly don't want that on the bottom of a open plastic carrier and have them messing around in it.

I've made 12+ hour long trips with Gizmo before. I wouldn't suggest keeping the carrier on your lap- it just seems uncomfortable and not stable enough should the car come to a sudden stop. I usually put Gizmo's carrier in middle of the back seat and put my luggage on both sides of it to stabilize the carrier.

Inside the carrier, I had fleece, a chinchiller, and some hay for him to munch on. Its good that you'll be staying the night in a hotel. I used to use that time to let Gizmo run around the bathroom while I cleaned out his carrier.

One thing to note is that their appetite typically decreases while traveling (stress, I assume). Hence why the hay in the carrier is a good option. I also used to syringe him water throughout the drive- sometimes he'd take it, but most of the time he wasn't interested. At the hotel is when I was able to actually stabilize a water bottle to his carrier or temp. cage.

That's all I can think of for now.

I'll be using a plastic carrier as it's the only kind I can get my hands on here, I don't ever give them any plastic either but as you said this is the only exception.

Good idea about the hotel, I was going to try do that anyways, do you ever have any hassle about them being allowed in the hotel? I'd prefer them to be on the back seat but for now with a car full of other stuff as well as it's a big move they might have to be on my lap i'll see on the day if they can go in the back.

I was wondering what to put in the bottom of the carrier and fleece is a great idea thank you! good job I have some anti pill left over too :) luckily in march it's still cold here so I don't have to worry about their heat levels.

Thank you all for the great advice, any other tips would be much appreciated! :)

Oh and another thing will the two of them be fine in a single carrier? they're sisters and get along well so I presume it will be ok?

I thought fleece was a good idea too until I made a move with my chins. Many of them peed on he fleece and it stunk up the car! Plus then they were sitting on damp fleece for the ride. I'd recommend shavings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought fleece was a good idea too until I made a move with my chins. Many of them peed on he fleece and it stunk up the car! Plus then they were sitting on damp fleece for the ride. I'd recommend shavings.

I can see the point in that.
Unfortunately for me, i can develop horrendous allergic reactions, both from allergic annoyances and irritation of any thing including stuff you cant even be allergic to. So im not chancing having 5 carriers full of shavings in my car with me. Tho i might have too for my two ferrets. I don't see fleece working to well for there bathroom needs. :/

Oh and another thing will the two of them be fine in a single carrier? they're sisters and get along well so I presume it will be ok?

They should be. If they get along well then the comfort of each other might help them. Just have to make sure the pet carrier is large enough to fit them both comfortably. And as a precaution i might bring a second one just in case you do hear fighting. Should the need arise where they ended up needing to be separated, its a good idea to have that option available.

Thanks for more suggestions :D Ya .. I can't imagine such a long journey with stinky fleece would be very pleasant, wood shavings are easier to change as well. Bringing a second carrier is definitely noted, with the stress of it i've been worrying that they may have the odd little sisterly squabble as I call them.

I'd put them on shavings too. If you have hay or hay cubes, you can keep that in the carrier as well and give them pellets when you stop. Also get a small water bottle, though they may not be interested in it during the ride. Chins usually do really well during long car rides as long as it doesn't get too hot.

Back