Need Help with Oral Antibiotics (Syringe Feeding)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimise

One of my chins needs to be fed Baytril via syringe. Problem is, he's very squirmy (I'm guessing he doesn't like syringes shoved into his mouth?) and he's got several wounds from his cagemate (actually I should say "ex-cagemate") on his back, so I don't want to use the burrito method. I was able to get him to take some medicine this morning by inserting the syringe into his mouth as he was reaching for a treat-but is there an easier way to get the mouth open to insert the syringe? I have a feeling he won't fall for that trick again...and he won't lick the antibiotics off a spoon.

Also, I have him in a carrier cage so he can rest, but I've let him run on his chinspin for about 30 min last night, because it seems like he really wants his playtime. Is this bad for him because of his back wounds? I'd really like to not keep him in the carrier cage all day, but I'm worried that in a bigger cage he'll fall and rip his scabs off. The bites on his back are mostly superficial, although there are two that are deeper than superficial but not deep enough to require stitches-according to the vet.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I have a girl on baytirl right now. We have been through spraying and biting and she is taking it well now. I just sit in a chair and place her on her back. Tuck her tail between my legs. I hold the back of her head with my fingers and under her chin with my thumb and give it to her. It takes some squirming and holding and like I said she has bitten me, but I've had better luck with this that the burrito. Follow it with a raisin as I do think this does help.

My girl has been on baytril for 10 days and is still eating. I have been waiting an hour after I give it to her and then following it up with 1/4 a teaspoon of lifeline 2x daily. She did stop eating the morning lifeline so I mix it with CC that she does eat off a spoon. Start wighing your chin and it's pellets. If either weights drop you may need to supplement with CC so order it now if you do not have it on hand. Click on the wee companions banner at the top if you need to order it.

As for the cage I personally would limit his activity for at least a week.

Is it often that chins will stop eating after going on antibiotics? As far as I can tell my chinny is acting pretty normal. He still shakes the bars of his carrier cage and is eating/drinking/pooing normally, but it's only been about a day...

Yes, baytril given orally in most cases with most chins will stop eating after about three days. My girl has not gone totally off food but a lot of them do. I read on here that a vet at the MCBA shindig said to follow up baytril with a raisin as they taste the baytril when they go to eat their pellets. I believe that is not entirely the problem but that it does help. The lifeline is important as well to put the good bacteria back into their gi system that the baytril kills. It also has good things in it for chins that are sick, stressed, or off feed. You can order that at this site: http://chocolatechinchillas.com/_wsn/page6.html

When Abigail was on baytril I mixed it with banana baby food and she took it very well. She was on baytril for a week and never stopped eating. But I gave her the baytril mixed with the baby food then halfway between the next baytril dose I fed her a syringe of cherry yogurt to keep her appetite up with the acidiphilous. I know the baby food has sugar so perhaps you could mix the baytril with straight canned pumpkin and see if that works. It is important they get the acidiphilous to keep their gut flora balanced. If you don't want to do yogurt try powdered sprinkled on pellets or hay.

i had to start giving my chin meds and handfeeding him and in the beginning it was so hard i almost gave up, but now we are in a groove.
personally i found that my chin did not like to be restricted in a big towel so the best thing for me is actually a thin burp cloth or thin handtowel. i usually dont even have to wrap him anymore, he sits on my lap sorta facing to the side and i syringe feed him like that, i hold the towel in front to help picks up all the stuff he drops and keep his chest somewhat clean.
he gets meds & syringe fed a wet diet 3 times per day. and at each feeding i give him a small amount of very liquidly lifeline about 1cc per feeding. and usually after the meds, so he doesnt have a bad taste in his mouth.

Thank you thank you for the suggestions. I ordered some herbal supplement from Carise and will be ordering some CC.

The yogurt...it's not bad for chins? If that helps then I will go to the store today and pick some up.

The yogurt...it's not bad for chins? If that helps then I will go to the store today and pick some up.
I won't feed the chins yogurt. I buy high count (50 billion count) acidophilus at the health food store. I either put some on a treat or their food or dissolve some in water and syringe feed it. I've found that the chins love the taste of the acidophilus.

What is the time frame for when I should try giving acidophilus supplement? ASAP or will anytime in the next few days be good?

Also, the vet didn't prescribe any pain meds...I mean, I know his healing process won't be pain-free, but is it safe to assume he'll make it a week until his next appointment without suffering extremely?

Thanks again.

Acidophilus should be given in between the antibiotics, so if you give them at 6am and 6pm, give the acidiphilus at noon and midnight. I would get pain meds, would you want to wait a week? Ask the vet to call them in, hopefully they can. He needs something if he is in pain, they can easily die from pain.

I would suggest to not forget to syringe in some water (liquids) also, while working with the meds. I'm a big hydrater chin mom---i've also added chamomile tea (it won't hurt them at all) (use 1c. water to 1 tea bag and steep 2 min.) syringe it to him. (my boy loved it when i had to hand feed). They will take a little bit and drink more of their reg. water in cage. Good Luck!!

I looked at the supplement Carise sells and I'm not seeing any probiotics in it. I'm thinking it is just a dietary supplement. I would still order some lifeline from the link I gave you on the first page. Lifeline has "8 billion probiotics in 6 strains" which is more than most acidophilus you will find, I think most are just lactobacillus. At the very least go to a health store and purchase acidophilus for him as he needs the probiotics. In the long run it is actually cheaper to purchase the lifeline than plain acidophilus tablets. I give all my guys LL once a week, but if you only want to give it while he is on the meds then the acidophilus may be the way to go.

If you are going to get pain meds, then ask about gut motility drugs for him to have on hand in case he does stop eating.

ETA: Do keep an eye on his water as mentioned. I have been putting a drop of honey in a tablespoon and giving it to my girl. She drinks it out of the spoon. You can try spoon feeding instead of syringe feeding (the cc if he needs it). Just stick the spoon in front of him and let him eat it.

Last edited:
I also wanted to say under any other circumstances I would never recommend giving raisins, honey, or any other sugary thing. However, I would rather have a chin willingly drink water with a drop of honey than no water at all.

Okay, I will order the Lifeline and try to pick up some probiotic supplement for immediate use. Thanks for reminding me to monitor his water intake...I'd forgotten to check yesterday! He still seems pretty lively...still eats and wants to come out of his carrier cage when I open it to feed him. That's a good sign, right?

When chin wounds heals...do they usually form dark scabs over them? It looks like he's started forming really dark scabs, and I just want to make sure it's not getting infected or...necrotic or something. What are the symptoms of pain that I need to look for? During the early night hours he usually leans on a corner hammock in his cage-I'm not sure if it's because he's resting/healing or in pain? :(

I think it's a good sign! Eating after a bad attack is very good. :)

Once they've formed the scabs they seem to do alright. I don't know if it would be that they are in pain when they lean funny or move strangely. Those scabs are really thick and rigid sometimes and actually impede movement. With the antibiotics and the scabs that have formed, I'm sure he'll be fine. It sounds like he's healing up pretty well. Another thing to consider is that those scabs seem to be pretty itchy so he may have some discomfort from that.

Chins heal very quickly. Keep an eye on him though. He hasn't gone into shock in the first day, so that's half the battle right there. You started him on antibiotics so you probably won't have to worry about infection, they were given before any bad infection would set it...that's a good thing. :)

I took in a rescue a few years back that looked like he had a turtle shell on his back because he had been injured so badly. It really freaked me out! Within two months his fur had grown back and he was fine. Oh, but the day the giant scab fell off I was beside myself with worry.

I hope he starts feeling better very soon so you don't have to worry so much.

Back