need help, weaning is not going well

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

We are weaning our babies. They are 8 weeks old yesterday. One was over 200 grams ons one was very close to 200. (185) they both lost 11 grams since yestrday when we started weaning them so we put them back on milk. What should we do?

185 is not "very close" to 200 when it comes to weaning. These kits have been fighting to survive all along. They should have more time on milk, which I believe was mentioned in one of the other threads you posted. I would not take them off of the goat's milk until they are at least 250 gm so they have a cushion to fall back on. I would also make sure they have the dry formula at all times.

Definitely keep feeding them until they are larger. 250 or 300 grams would be good. They need that more condensed energy and nutrition that the milk has to grow and put on weight right now. 8 weeks is just a number really. Some kits need more time nursing or being handfed than others.

In my experience kits will naturally wean themselves off milk, give time.
As Peggy & Susan say, keep them on the milk & if they are taking it from a bottle you will probably find they drink less as time goes on.

Back