Need help looking for a Large Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krytical

Hi Guys,
(Just had a few shots of Hennessy so excuse my typos if any, but the red underline should remind me there is.)

I'm in need of a new Cage for my 2 Chinchillas. Going to do a whole new renovation to their living habitat so I'm getting rid of their old Cage and need something much bigger. I looked at many Cages especially the Quality Cages, Ferret Nation, WARE and Martin Cages since they offer Large cages.

I'm turned off by WARE because the Quality is something WARE doesn't have in their dictionary.

Martin Cages are nice but you have to put them together by yourself in the end and I heard it's not sturdy as you may think it is.

Quality Cages looks like a good build material and is sturdy but none of the cages are big enough.

Ferret Nation seems reasonable but they don't fit my dimension quota pants fully.

What I'm looking for is a cage that is absurd in size to many. But I care and love my Chinchilla's like they are my own kids because technically they are my Kids. (I'm too young to get my GF pregnant so the Chinchilla's will do for now). I know we didn't give birth to them but we are their surrogate parents from here on out and they deserve the best.

But from what I observed these cages are not the best. If I could I would let them have rooms for their own and run around all they want with the limitations only being the room walls itself. But that's not going to happen obviously because I'm not quite sure how we're going to manage renting a waste disposal truck every week just to clear out the poo and buying the same electronics once a month to replace them because the cables were gnawed on to bare metal.

So in my conquest to feel some sort of satisfaction knowing my Kids have a very large cage to dwell in continues. I need YOUR help finding a cage with the dimensions that has at least a 60" Height (WITHOUT a stand, just the living headquarters itself the basement doesn't count.) A Width as close to 40"+ and a Depth of as close to 30"+.

These are the minimum requirements my Chinchilla's said they need. (They spoke to me in sign language when they were chewing at the cage bars to make a renovation expansion into the whole room so yes we did have some sort of communication session, I simply replied in Xhosa clicks and they seem to understand me.)

Please help me with my scavenger hunt, Chins buddies. The price is not a concern for me, just like when you want to send your Kids to the best school out there to have the best education ever like Yale or Harvard, you don't care or second-think about the price you just want what's best for the kids, Agree?

Thanks. I look forward to your expertise in helping me find my Chinchilla's their dream home so they too can say they are living the Chinmerican Dream.

You might want to look into building them a custom cage if you want it to be the ultimate giant chin mansion. I currently have a double high ferret nation which I will eventually make double wide as well (google images double wide ferret nation and see what i mean). My two boys also get out for at least an hour of playtime each night and have a flying saucer wheel to run on so I think they're pretty happy in there at the moment ;)

Edit: One day I might go triple high double wide....or three triple high FNs, triple wide, all connected...omg it would be epic (and would require soooo much fleece!)

Wait, you can hook two Ferret Nations up to each other side by side and they can use both?!

I'm a huge fan of Martins cages myself. My 2 girls are currently housed in a DFN but I have a Martins F-477 cage in almost perfect condition that I adore sitting empty right now. I'm strongly considering taking out the 2 full middle floors (not that difficult with some good wire cutters for the c-rings) and then filling it with custom wood shelves, ledges, etc. The total dimensions for it are 30" x 24" x 66" with the "barn" top being removeable to use as a carrier/travel cage, its in the ferret cage section--http://martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/

I've used several styles of their cages for years now for various types of small animals and personally think they're excellent quality, plus they offer amazing customer service. They are very willing to make custom cages to people's specific needs and own designs for very reasonable prices, and it sounds as if that might be your best option for getting exactly the cage you want.

Heck yeah you can! You just need to take out the sides of each cage where they will be joined and make sure that you securely attach then two double high FNs together. There are a couple of examples in the FN Club thread, but you have to weed through a lot of posts to find them and if you google images double wide ferret nation you should find some examples. People do it for their rats, for their chins, for their ferrets, etc.

Wait, you can hook two Ferret Nations up to each other side by side and they can use both?!

I have a friend who had three double units connected side by side for her prairie dogs and was planning to add on more last time I heard--it was quite the monstrosity of a cage lol, already taking up the length of the wall it was against. Just keep in mind that the original style of ferret nations are going to be different to modify in order to do this than the new no-tools assembly style currently sold. I had a triple level CN at one point, but I didn't like the extreme height even though I'm fairly tall myself--removing the stand would have made this less of an issue and that is what many people do, but then its obviously much more difficult to move when necessary.

Okay thanks buddies. You guys were very quick! Looks like the Chinchilla's rub off onto us. I knew I should have just posted here and waited for the quick responses than looking online at a million different sites.

Here's what I'll do: Tripple Ferret Nations Wide and Tall.

Thanks!

Me and my GF are currently renovating the room where the Chinchilla's will be in with the Cage. We had to also rent storage space to put a lot of things in there so we could make space for them. Yeah we're that dedicated. Anyway hope we can get the Cages by next week and have it set up so we can post pics. I also asked my GF to learn how to sew so she can do Fleeces, Haha. Anyone know how I can convince her? :D

Is your gf concerned with cost or finding the best deal? If she is, I'd suggest mentioning how much cheaper it is to make fleece items than to buy them. Not to mention, if you don't have to ship the fleece items, that'll save you some as well.

Figure your average hammock costs you $8-9. You can buy a strip of 15" wide fleece, on sale at Joanns, for less than $3. So let's say you want the same pattern on both sides, so you just cut your long strip into four pieces and then sew them together, 2 by two. Providing you with two hammocks roughly 14" square each. Granted, you still need grommets (or, you can create fleece "loops" -- though my chins chew through those in no time, I *need* the grommets for my cages) and something to clip the hammocks to the cage, but you're at $8-9 for two hammocks.

Fleece items are one of those things where I really feel you're paying for the time and effort that goes into making them, in addition to just paying for the fleece. I hate sewing liners, and no amount of money will get me to make them for people (though I make them for myself). You know why? Because I feel they take forever and I'm pressed for free time as it is. Hammocks I can manage, cause they don't take that long... but I also have mine priced at $8.50 ($7.50 on sale). Which, as you can see from the explanation above, is not what it costs to make them.

Not that ferret nations aren't nice cages, but, what about a parrot cage? They get quite large, less modification required, and in the end, will cost you quite a bit less.

This one looks nice.

This one is even larger.

This one has a bit different of a shape.

I suspect this cage could be put together without the divider, making it absolutely HUGE.

^ that's a thought. Along those lines, what about a walk-in aviary? I've seen some huge ones that have had bar spacing that would be fine for chinchillas.

Back