need help finding a breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im going to get a chinchilla next summer (so i have more time to bond to him)
i just want a normal standard (cute enough). it will be a male (supposed to be more calm). i was wondering if i can get help finding a breeder. i live in middleburg fl. the closest breeder i could find was in jacksonville and her site hasnt been updated in a while so i dont know if she is still in the breeding buisiness or not. any help will be appreciated.:)
thanks

I'm not sure about breeders in Florida anymore, but there is a rescue down your way that often has chins available in their rescue. Her user name is Essentia (Crysta) and you could contact her if you would be interested in going that route.

Hi chinnychinchinchilla. You are not far from me. I run a small home based chinchilla rescue in Jacksonville, FL. There are a fair number of chinnie people on this forum who live in Jacksonville, or the surrounding area.

I'm assuming you are referring to Winmar Farms as the breeder in Jacksonville, FL? She is a fine breeder, but insanely expensive. I often have chinchillas up for adoption. Right now I only have a beige female for adoption, but most often what are surrendered to me are standard males. I'm sure I will have what you are looking for by next summer.

If you are possibly interested in adopting a rescue instead of purchasing from a breeder just keep in contact with me and I can let you know what chinnies I have available.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
essentia,
i dont plan to get one until summer (next) because i will be busy with school and i know it takes a while to tame a chinchilla and bond to one and i think ill have more time to do this in the summer. this chinchilla will be my complete responsibility and i have a teacher that will help me find a job, so i will have plenty of money to care for this chin. i am looking for a male. what are the youngest your chins are and what are the personalities like. i really want a strong bond with him so thats why i was looking for a younger chinchilla, they are supposed to be easier to tame.
thanks

Actually, I find the opposite with chinchillas. Young chinchillas are crazy. The older ones aren't as bad and are usually friendlier. I rarely get any kits here, and if I do they usually get adopted pretty fast. Most often the chinchillas are a year to 3 years old. Sometimes a bit older, sometimes a bit younger.

Right now I don't have a male, but I am sure I will in the future. Just keep in touch and we will check what I have when you are ready to adopt.

that sounds great!
as long as the chinchilla is friendly i wouldnt mind giving it a great home.
1 to 3 years old sounds fine.

I just wanted to say that if I were in Florida I would not hesitate to adopt from Essentia. I have been impressed by the lengths she will go to get and care for a chin. When you adopt from someone like that you will have their support for as long as you need it and get accurate information. It would also mean more room for future chins that need to be rescued.

i looked at her sight and i agree.
i am definatly looking to adopt a happy little chinny from her.
definatly beats getting one from a petstore! :)

Back