naughty chin CHIBBLED the wall!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

I always watch my girl while she is out since Im super paranoid....well Im glad I did she was sitting at my desk and all of a sudden she "CHIBBLED" the wall!!! Im hoping since I said no she wont do this again or she will be forced into a playpen naughty girl LOL I do feed her well and have lotsa sticks she gets new toys weekly now shes just sitting on my hello kitty plushie so shes behaving for the moment

have any of ur chins tried to chibble the wall? not say a piece of trim but the actual wall high up?

Back when I was a new chin owner and didn't know about chewing and chin proofing, I allowed Mr. whiskers free run of my condo...until the night I saw that he had chewed the wallpaper right over the back of the sofa and it was noticeable, and then the leg of the dining room table.

He is now restricted and supervised when he's out!!!

Silly chin thought it would be a good idea to take a bite out of the window ledge a couple times, but that's about all she's done to the walls. Everything else in the room has chew marks in it, though!

Back when I was a new chin owner and didn't know about chewing and chin proofing, I allowed Mr. whiskers free run of my condo...until the night I saw that he had chewed the wallpaper right over the back of the sofa and it was noticeable, and then the leg of the dining room table.

He is now restricted and supervised when he's out!!!

Yes they are so sneaky at times LOL I wanted to say in my first post I watch her like a hawk LOLOLOL but then I felt bad thinking of a chin with a hawk circling her

I had a chin take a chunk out of the wall last week. That means that I have to get the spackle out and repaint...yay.

They will do this when they have the chance...It always makes me so mad....

I know it was very random ...she never did this before then looked at me paused and bit I was like NoooOOOOooooo and of course my paint it dark so u can see the " chibble " right out

[/QUOTE=jess32247;331732]Silly chin thought it would be a good idea to take a bite out of the window ledge a couple times, but that's about all she's done to the walls. Everything else in the room has chew marks in it, though![/QUOTE]

yes I swear anything that sticks or protrudes in a certain way they will chibble

Oh, please!! My poor front room is all nibbled up from when I got my first two girls years ago, before the gate system was in place. I think the wall is more spackle than sheetrock now. Not to mention my pitiful window ledges. :p

Ha that brings memories!! One of my chins did that few years ago. I put the cage to close to the wall and she chewed my wall!! I had to redo the wall..Put drywall and paint it.

Lesson learn never to put the cage to close to the wall, and I also had to watch them during play time make sure they didn't chew on the wall or anything!

My female has gotten the trim and taken the paint off the wall as high as she can reach! I have to be very careful to have her cage and playpen away from the wall or she wreaks havoc! She also got a fan cord that got to close to her pen...

My living room walls are covered in card board, two feet high all the way around. There's also a sheet of cardboard attached to the wall behind the cage too. My boys would rip off every bit of drywall if I let them. We tried bitter sprays and other things that were supposed to deter them, but they still chewed. With our house being so small, it was easier to just cover the walls than restrict their play area.

i've got the odd chew mark here and there on my chin room baseboards, but other than that my boys are actually pretty good when they are out playing. lots of cardboard castles and things to chew and play with keeps them from being bad bad boys, lol.

We usually manage to keep them away from the walls but I have a leather belt that has a massive chunk out of it.

Vincenza was so proud. :p

A few years ago someone accidentally pushed the cage too close to the wall and I found this one morning...

7e3fc414.jpg

Mine got behind our couch. In the time it took us to move the couch to safely get him out, he had ripped off our paint and was peeling it off the wall. I can't wait to explain that when we move out of our apartment.

For better or worse, the rooms in which we allow the chins are all hard surfaces (hardwood, tile or stone floors, sheetrock, stone or hardwood walls), so when they have play time, as soon as they chew on something, we hear it and can nip it in the bud. The critter nation cages don't offer them enough space between the bars to reach and chew the walls (thankfully), so we've been good there. Our one wood buffet now has "rustic, textured accents" anywhere the chins could reach, though.

We also tried triple bitters spray as a deterrent. Turns out almost all of them LOVED the stuff. So that went right in the trash.

I use playpens, I have 2 I can hook together. This stops baseboard and wall chewing. Throw a bunch of toys in the pen, let them out, and everyone is happy.

I use playpens, I have 2 I can hook together. This stops baseboard and wall chewing. Throw a bunch of toys in the pen, let them out, and everyone is happy.

We tried that...So far, three of our seven can jump high enough, and can balance well enough, to jump to the top of the playpen, balance on it to investigate the area, and then hop down the other side. One of the remaining four tries like the dickens, and is getting closer and closer. One has no interest, and the remaining two, although able to jump high enough, haven't been in the playpen, because we've only just got them.

This excludes all other documented escapes and escape attempts, including but not limited to moving objects to climb up and jump over the wall, pushing objects UNDER the playpen until enough of a gap is created to squeeze through, using fellow chins as launching pads and flat out pulling at it, jumping against it and otherwise rattling it until we take pity on them and let them out into a larger area with more climby bits.

I thought my bars were close enough (half inch) to prevent wall chewing, but they still managed.
I also have escape artists, there is now a vice grips holding their cage door shut, after being woken up at 4am to a chinchilla in our bedroom closet trying to eat a laundry basket.

Latest posts

Back