Mystery Drooling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feistychins

The Chinchilla Lady
I have a 17 1/2 year old chinchilla. He has been with us for a couple of years now. He had an eye infection when we rescued him. After months of medical care (it would get better and then bad again) we had no choice but to have it removed. That was a good year ago. He has been great since then and is a very sweet boy.

About a month ago he suddenly starting drooling. I brought him to the vet and they can find nothing wrong with him. His teeth have been checked thoroughly and he was put under so they could get a good look way in the back of his mouth. The vet said she had never seen such PERFECT teeth for a chin. There are no point/spurs, no misalignment and his roots are perfect with no ulcerations or abcess. We could not believe at his age and having suffered from some neglect before coming here that he has better teeth than many younger chins. He is alert and VERY hungry. He inhales CC like crazy. He does try to eat some pellets, but his drooling is really bad. I give him a dust bath every day. I have brought him to the vet three times to try to resolve this and it is a mystery as to why he is drooling and yet seems to feel good and has such interest in everything and wanting to eat.

The question is....has anyone ever experienced a chin drooling very badly without it being a teeth issue?

I'm guessing so as she commented that his roots were good...which can only be seen through x-rays
You'd be amazed how many times I have heard "the roots are ok" when the vet has not X-rayed the chin. If they can't feel or see a problem then they assume the roots are fine. :(

I agree, unless they did xrays of the teeth, there's no way for them to know for sure that they aren't growing into their skulls. They could only feel along the jaw and assume that they're okay. But even if they haven't grown that far, they could be elongating and just haven't gotten to that point.

Is there was an x ray done and there is no other probable reason - have you had the vet culture the saliva to see for an infection? Sometimes an infection can occur from food or whatever, pricking their mouth/cutting their mouth. It all depends on the bacteria.

If it goes without being treated, it can become an infection in the bone and then there really is no way to treat. The infection causes inflammation, and the chin basically mimics everything like a mallocluder would, without having the teeth troubles. Sometimes depending on the infection the teeth may even grow in black and crooked.
I'd really suggest a culture of the saliva, if x rays and all else fails in diagnosing a problem.

I fully agree about the x-ray, but in this case we did not take one because we were already nervous to have him put under just to examine the teeth looking for a spur or ucleration and we were trying not to take any longer than needed (because of his age). Yes, the vet was very sure by feeling his jawline and the fact that the teeth were so perfectly align and showing no signs of uneven wear she did not think it was needed. Please understand this is a great vet she does usually does not hesitate to take x-rays or whatever is needed to care for chins.

I am bringing him back in and I will have an x-ray taken then as I have no other choice to figure out what this is. I wanted to see if anyone experienced anything else other than malocclusion with drooling before I risk using isofluane gas again.

I will also have her take a culture of his saliva to see for bacteria, that is a good idea. We were just looking for an obvious ulceration or abcess which there were none.

This might sound crazy but try cuddle bone. I had a pregnant chin drooling x-rays done teeth were perfect. Someone else on chinsandglider had the same thing and the doctor gave her some kind of calcium stuff.

Didn't even see that part.. SORRY!
You have nothing to apologize for, x-rays were not done. IMO when the chin was put under the first time for the thorough viewing x-rays should have been taken since it is impossible to know if the roots are growing up into the nasal cavity by feel alone and then you wouldn't have had to anesthetize again.

He is not having any problems with his eyes, so it is not his nasal cavity. The eye infection I mentioned was something totally unrelated that happened a year ago. I just mentioned it to indicate that he has been in good health his whole life except for that one time.

It was one of those cases where I was very surprised that he suddenly started doing this at his age after having no problems at all with his teeth. When he was put under, we did it with the sole intention of checking the back teeth or to see if he had a spur and maybe bit the inside of his check. Looking back I have no idea why I just didn't take a few minutes to have an x-ray done which is not like me.

His teeth are a nice dark orange, so if he is lacking in calcium it is not showing a deficiency that way.

Back