My rats won't eat when I'm gone. What can I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

I recently went away for 4 days and left my rats at my apartment. My roommate came in and checked on them each day, refilled their water as needed, etc. When I left I filled their bowl with food. When I got back 4 days later, I noticed their bowl was almost completely full but the bag of food I left wasn't opened. I asked my roommate about it and she said they had not eaten much if anything (obviously) while I was gone. Within hours of me coming back, they had scarfed down their food, so I knew it wasn't a bad batch. My mother thought that maybe they were depressed, as I generally have them out every day for play time and my roommate did not.

My concern is, I am going to NY for Thanksgiving and I am going to have to board the rats here in Mississippi (I tried to see if I could fly them home with me but it wasn't possible). I will be bringing them with their cage, toys, food, etc. But I am worried that they won't eat again... and I'm going to be gone for 8 days. Is there anything I can do to get them to eat or help them feel more comfortable while I am gone? I'm going to be worried sick the whole time I am away.

You could try having the rat sitter give them extra yummy foods like avocado, cooked sweet potato, scrambled eggs, chicken, etc. I'm not saying overdo it on these foods, but in moderation they may be a motivator to eat. I know my rats go crazy for this type of stuff.

Maybe you could have your roommate feed them for the week before you leave so they get used to them?

Not to sound harsh, but we had dogs at the vet who wouldn't eat while their owners were gone, the vets all said when they get hungry enough, they'll eat, and usually they would.

maybe wearing a t shirt for a couple days to infuse it with your smell, and then putting it in their cage when you leave? i know it isn't a substitute for you being around for them, but perhaps your scent will help with the separation?

maybe wearing a t shirt for a couple days to infuse it with your smell, and then putting it in their cage when you leave? i know it isn't a substitute for you being around for them, but perhaps your scent will help with the separation?

I may try that. It can't hurt and if anything it will just provide them with another place to sleep lol.

Unfortunately they are going to have to be boarded at a vet office for Thanksgiving break. My roommate is from Chicago and will be going home for Thanksgiving as well. I really wish I could fly them with me! I would feel so much better. I figure that if they get hungry enough they will eventually eat, but I just hope it is true. I will test out other yummy foods with them to see what they like best and bring those with them for the vet to give them. Hopefully it helps.

aww they missed you. why can't the pet sitter take them out for playtime next time?

if somebody isn't entirely comfortable with a certain animal, and not knowledgeable on that animal, i wouldn't advise having them take the animal out of the cage - just too many opportunities for mishaps.

if somebody isn't entirely comfortable with a certain animal, and not knowledgeable on that animal, i wouldn't advise having them take the animal out of the cage - just too many opportunities for mishaps.

I guess I should have also asked if the sitter was comfortable enough to do this. I was wondering it tho. guess I'm lucky my sitter is also an experience chinchilla owner.

My rats act really weird when I am gone to try this get a few fleece blankets and sleep with them for a few days if you sweat on them or anything the stronger the scent on them put the blankets in a big baggy or garbage bag. Before you leave put one of the blankets in there cage. Who ever is watching them ask them a few days later to remove the blanket pick up the bag gentaly pinch another blanket to put in there ask him or her to avoid getting there scent on it. They can also try putting a little yogurt in there food or ham to give it more flavor and make it yummy tasting.

Back