My Mom & Uncle Keeps Releasing Chinchilla help??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan50

My mom & uncle keeps releasing chinchilla out of its cage I don't want them to, I want him to stay inside the cage. What should I do ? It bites on cords & hard to catch him when it's out of cage! They think it's unhealthy if it's inside the cage even it has exercising wheel inside is this true?

get a pad lock and lock the cage shut! He is perfectly fine in his cage, and being out could be dangerous!

Breeders who have chins never let them out of their cages, and they don't have wheels. They are fine. I agree, put a lock on the cage so they can't open the door.

It is totally the person preference whether they let their chinchilla out for playtime. As long as you have a big cage where they can run and jump around and toys they can play with is fine. For me personally I let my chinchillas out for playtime everyday. They just give me a look asking me to let them out and if I dont put them out they would bother you throughout the night. I dont wanna lock up my chinchilla 24/7 but it is totally not require. If you dont have a place for them to run freely and safely it is better to let them stay in the cage. You can either lock up the cage or you can find a safe spot where they can run freely. The choice is really up to you.

Last edited:
It is totally the person preference whether they let their chinchilla out for playtime. As long as you have a big cage where they can run and jump around and toys they can play with is fine. For me personally I let my chinchillas out for playtime everyday. They just give me a look asking me to let them out and if I dont put them out they would bother you throughout the night. I dont wanna lock up my chinchilla 24/7 but it is totally not require. If you dont have a place for them to run freely and safely it is better to let them stay in the cage. You can either lock up the cage or you can find a safe spot where they can run freely. The choice is really up to you.

We already have a big cage but they think he's not active and happy as much as he used to be before and that's why they keep releasing him unfortunately

pull up some of the things that have happened to chinchillas when they are outside of designated safe contained play area(horrible deaths from electrocution,damage to mouth,severe burns/arms and legs broken requiring amputation/attacks from other house pets,etc.). Then show them some pics of the destruction they can cause very quickly to wall board,trim,wood in just a few minutes.

pull up some of the things that have happened to chinchillas when they are outside of designated safe contained play area(horrible deaths from electrocution,damage to mouth,severe burns/arms and legs broken requiring amputation/attacks from other house pets,etc.). Then show them some pics of the destruction they can cause very quickly to wall board,trim,wood in just a few minutes.

I did she said she will get the ball that's designed for chinchillas to use that outside of its cage

We let ours out of the cage, but this isn't new to us. I have had ferrets for years in the past prior to having our first chinchilla so animal proofing a room is not new to me. We only let him out in my sons bedroom which is chinchilla proofed. And both he and I have to be present during his play time to have two sets of eyes on him. We also both love interacting with him as well. Having said that, if you don't have a safe room, it can be a disaster. Animals, especially small ones can and will find ways to get themselves into trouble. I have seen and read of sad cases where it has been life ending in other groups I have been involved in. I wonder if you shared the dangers with them if they would listen? I'm guessing they believe they are doing it out of love. If they realize they may harm them they may back down.

Now they changed their minds about the whole ball thing they're saying he wouldn't be able to go to places he wants to and thinks cords are safe if it's not high voltage

I did she said she will get the ball that's designed for chinchillas to use that outside of its cage

That ball can kill them. It has poor ventilation and can cause overheating. Not to mention they'd just be running around in their own defecation.

I've seen people buy large safely designed playpens for their chinchillas (looking into one myself). Maybe talk to them about getting one so it can have designated, safe play time.
I would avoid the ball at all costs. They have such thick fur that when it traps heat it's about double that for them. Plus, what Devi said, they like to be clean animals and would probably be more miserable being covered in their own waste.

Chins can overheat or have toes amputated in those ball things, not a great solution. Out of curiosity why do they think they can do as they please if the chin is yours? Seems odd to me? You need to have a real conversation about who the chins person is. Even my husband doesn't let my chin out, he asks me about anything having to do with her, because he knows I did the research and I am the caregiver
Good luck

Latest posts

Back