My male chinchilla XiaoBai X-ray , help !

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DioAlvin

Hi,

My male chinchilla Xiaobai was not eating alot but drink alot, but her poop are weird shape -(pointy poop, round and weird shape abit hard but sometime abit hard), he pee was normal, so i decide to bring her to my chinchilla vet, went for oral examination of dental & full body X-Ray and my chinchilla vet found out that his stomach have alot of Big & Small gas bubbles, now he is on medication now - Cisapride 0.5ml 3 times daily , metacam 0.03ml once a day & metolon 0.4ml 2 times daily (Metoclopramide). i know he definitely feel very uncomfortable & in pain because of large gas bubbles, hear some breeder say that if chinchilla in pain, feel uncomfortable & sick because of the large gas bubbles in their stomach, their penis prolapse and wont retract, his penis look very normal & nice, no hair ring , no swelling/swollen or discolour.

Will this cause my chinchilla penis unable to retract back - Prolapsed

PS : He have been put to sleep and have oral check with the equipment . All Molars are normal - normal wear and position.
he have dental x-ray also, all nice and normal no sign of overgrowth toward jaw.

Anyway get rid off the gas bubbles from my chinchilla Xiaobai ?

any advice are welcome !

Here is the full body x-ray of Xiaobai

r21c13.jpg
[/IMG]
fp3sqf.jpg
[/IMG]

any advice are welcome !

Thank & Best regards

Are you feeding any treats? If so, what, how much, and how often?

Regardless I would stop all treats to both at least until the bloat goes away. Safe wood twigs/sticks, hay, and pellets are the only things they should have right now.

Hi,
I don't know much about this condition, I'm sorry, but I have heard of other people giving their chins baby gas drops (like what you get for a human baby, from a pharmacy), to help with gas.

Use the "search" function on this forum, and you'll find heaps of posts from other people with advice on how to deal with this.

Good luck!

Are you feeding any treats? If so, what, how much, and how often?

Regardless I would stop all treats to both at least until the bloat goes away. Safe wood twigs/sticks, hay, and pellets are the only things they should have right now.

i usually give them dried carrot and freeze dried strawberry trests(no added sugar, no added colour & no preservatives)

strawberry treat i give them every 3-4days a piece , and dried carrot i give them almost every days.

but i have stop giving them treats about 1 or 2 weeks.

now i only give them timothy hay, orchard grass hay & 1 to 2 tablespoon oxbow pellet a day.

she can finish her 1 or 2 tablespoon pellet in a hour or two

i give her one handfull of hay she will only like eat half of it.

after she finish eating, she go and lie down and have a sleep or sit at a corner like very depress or tired etc, but when i put her out for playtime in a large playpen, she will jump around a run.

but she poos quite alot now , but still not very normal shape.

she drinking about 20-40ml a day.

PS: i have another post that have the same problem that is my male chinchilla XiaoBai, please take a look on his x-ray , he having alot of large gas inside his stomach worst then my female chinchilla snow.

Thank & best regard !

sorry is a he not she , i mixed both post up. xiaobai keep laying down all day, easy get tired or depress, sit in his house with eyes close like feel very uncomfortable, i know he feel very uncomfortable cause of having large gas inside .

Update : i have another post have a same problem as xiaobai, my female chinchilla snow , please take a look , but snow not so worst .

Have you weighed him and checked for a loss? If he is not eating enough on his own he needs to be force fed. Critical care is a great product. I'm sure there are others you might be able to get in your area. Gas in the bowel does cause quite a bit of pain. I would add baby gas drops and probiotics to the meds that your vet gave you. Pin does not cause a penis to prolapse. That a completely different problem non-related to the gas in his bowel. You can do belly rubs and encourage play time to help the gut move the gas through.

I agree with Dreamlite. Add baby gas drops and probiotics to the meds he is already one, do belly massages, and encourage play time.

If he isn't eating on his own, then he is going to need to be hand feed to keep his system going. Gas can turn fatal if the system isn't keep going.

Two things really stand out to me.

One, stop feeding the carrots and strawberries to your chinchillas. They cannot digest them properly and end up with gas or diarrhea, either of them can be deadly. Once your chins are better, you can give them old fashioned oats, cheerios, rose hips, or unfrosted shredded wheat. Chins should only receive one to two treats a week. That means one pinch or oats OR one cherrio, OR one rose hip, etc., not one of each. do not go back to giving them the carrots and strawberries, ever.

Second, chinchillas should be given access to pellets at all times. They're bowl should always have food in it. One tablespoon a day is not enough pellets.

You will probably find that these changes in diet will keep them much healthier than they are now.

Two things really stand out to me.
One, stop feeding the carrots and strawberries to your chinchillas. They cannot digest them properly and end up with gas or diarrhea, either of them can be deadly. Once your chins are better, you can give them old fashioned oats, cheerios, rose hips, or unfrosted shredded wheat. Chins should only receive one to two treats a week. That means one pinch or oats OR one cherrio, OR one rose hip, etc., not one of each. do not go back to giving them the carrots and strawberries, ever.
Second, chinchillas should be given access to pellets at all times. They're bowl should always have food in it. One tablespoon a day is not enough pellets.
You will probably find that these changes in diet will keep them much healthier than they are now.

I agree with all of this that Cuddlebug said. Hay and pellets available at all times. Treats like fruits and veggies (dried or not) have way too much sugar in them. Another note on safe treats- do not feed "instant" or "quick" oats, get old fashioned oats. The kind to do fast oatmeal can swell up a lot after ingestion and block the digestive system. A single cheerio or a pinch of shredded wheat are good, but make sure they are unfrosted/unsweetened, I even try to get organic. One of the best ways to "treat" your chinchillas is to give them wood chews. Personally, I give my chin grapevine constantly and give other chin safe woods as treats. You can search the forums to find out which woods are safe and which arent, and to figure out how to do your own. There are also vendors on here who sell them.

Sometimes when switching from unhealthy to healthy treats, chins seem disappointed in the new treat. It's just that they're going from a super sweet unhealthy thing to a still-good but less sugary thing. Like if a person got used to a whole triple layer fudge moose chocolate cake every day, and then cuts back to a single chocolate chip cookie- it's still dessert, a lot better for you than a whole cake, but its a lot different. Just a heads-up.

Cut the treats! They are not a necessary part of the diet and definitely can cause more harm than good, especially if your chin is already experiencing gut issues. Just free feed pellets and timothy hay so he is taking in enough fiber and substance to keep his GI tract moving food through normally.

Baby gas drops, probiotics, belly massages, and light exercise all can help to move things along. You need to keep everything moving through his GI tract, both food, and gas. And you don't want to give any treats which can cause more gas.

i just get the Dentinox infant colic drops but is Dimethicone not simethicone.

can i give it to my chinchilla to help relief the gas?

Back