My first tube prototype "Chalupa Tube Model 1"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

I eluded to this in another post, but wanted to start a thread to share pictures and my thoughts as well as get some feedback.

My criteria:

* Removable fleece for washing
* Easy install and removal of Fleece
* Secure Fleece mounting

I used 4" PVC from the hardware store. I think 4" is too small, but could not find any bigger diameter unless I wanted to buy a 10 foot section for over $50. This tube is approx 4"x10".

The tube has been 'chin tested' for about a week and so far looks promising.

Here's the larger of the two boys, Chili, just 'chillin' on the tube:
picture.php

Basic construction:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The above pictures are after 1 weeks worth of climbing pushing and what ever else the boys have put it thru. (I dusted it off before snapping these pictures) I will be doing a wash test (hope it doesn't shrink). My sewing isn't as good as it could be, but it was a proof on concept for pattern making purposes. The loose threads shown are from my sewing, and not chewing.

Changes to the next prototype:

*Concealed zipper (just to be safe)
*Smaller zipper pull (to help conceal)
*Color co-ordinated zipper (to draw less attention to it)
*Larger tube (6"-8" diameter)
*Cage mounting system (evasive and non-evasive)
*I think its a little tight, so I will have more "slip" to the fit

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hmmmm the pictures didn't come through!

How about now? I saw the album I put them in was 'private'. I made them public. (Here on the C&H forum)

Heres another:

My small chin (Chalupa) exiting the tube.
picture.php

Last edited:
If you wash your fleece prior to sewing, that should prevent it from shrinking afterwards. Also...do not use fabric softner when drying fleece items.

If you wash your fleece prior to sewing, that should prevent it from shrinking afterwards. Also...do not use fabric softner when drying fleece items.

Does fleece shrink? (I didn't prewash...but I will the rest of the stuff I have!)

No Fabric softner..got it. THANKS! ;)

Yay it works! And yes fleece does shrink, pre-washing is advised!

Is there a reason why you wanted to use a zipper? Even with a metal pull the teeth and connective part can still be chewed.

I don't think that there is a need for a zipper, besides that a chin could chew it, it is also extra work, I think that just make it a little longer and then fold it a little bit it should help. :)

I would nix the zipper as well, they don't hold up very well and it's bound to get chewed. I prefer the standard tube cover that just folds over. Very simple, very easy to make/remove/wash.

Interesting that the comments are about the zipper. LOL. I have weird chins. When I first put the tube in the cage before the zipper was sewn in and had it just pulled over, the boys went straight for the 'lump' of folded over material. They bit and tried to dig under it. So I desided to make it as flat and uniform as possible. Hence the zipper.

When placed in the cage the pull goes facing down (until they roll it around as its not secure to the cage at this time). When I find a way to mount it, the pull will be facing the cage, away from the chins.

As odd as it sounds, my chins ignore the zipper, so thats why its there. I would have prefered to keep it simple and I took a gamble by installing it,, but it seemed to have paid off.

Future version will have a hidden, color co-ordinated zipper with a smaller pull.

Now, if I ever open a busness of selling these, I'll be sure to offer a zipper-free version for all you folks who prefer it to not be there! (Y'all with normal chins!) :thumbsup:

Just a note on chinchillas-just because they ignore something at first does not mean they will ignore it forever, I would nix the zipper its just asking for trouble.

if they are trying to burrow under the fleece than it is not tight enough. i have tubes in most of my cages and not once, not ever have any of my boys try to burrow. the tube covers are long enough that they almost twice wrap the tube and they are extremely snug.

i have to agree that the fact that they are currently ignoring the zipper doesnt mean the 2nd tuesday in march when they are bored they wont try to start chomping on it.

if you mount it witht the zipper outwards than you still have the issue of the binding of the zipper material that if they start chewing on could lodge in their teeth.

i wouldnt risk it, the standard tube has worked well for everyone. try washing and shrinking the fleece first and than wrap it on tube.

Back