My first kits!! ;)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_lvr

And I was just talking to the mailman today (who had lost my package from AZ Chins...long story) that I was never going to have any kits (then again, I only have 1 pair together)!!

Then I go downstairs to clean cages just as the second kit was coming out!!! BEST day ever!!!

Kristi, Spice is a new mom!!!

I paired a Black Velvet with a Violet (light wrap)....

And I just got back to town earlier this week, and she was so kind to have the two of them on a weekend!!! How lucky am I????

Amy

Attachments

• mom and baby.jpg
    mom and baby.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_1002.jpg
    DSC_1002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_1009.jpg
    DSC_1009.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Beautiful !!!! Ohhh they are soo tiny congrats!!!! I am so wanting another chinchilla must resist One is good for me lol....but they are amazing to see !!!

that first pic is too perfect with the momma and baby! Adorable!!
How did you decide to pair the bv and the violet wrap?

Why?

How did I decide? Wow, that's a great question! They were both old enough (over a year, and well pedigreed. I love the beauty of the TOV violets. Fynn is such a light wrap, I forget he is. That must sound terrible. They're my first pairing (only right now, however as soon as she littered I separated them, which may not be soon enough). He's also a large violet, and she's a beatiful BV, so I thought this way I could have a violet carrier that I may want to pair with either my other violet female who is almost a year or a vc down the road.

Does it seem like an odd choice? (this may sound odd, he's beautiful, I wanted to shorten his nose.... ). We'll see how they grow out. I'm in no hurry. I'm looking forward to learning more at the show in April.

Both kits age gaining weight nicely. We named them Jack and Jill. (maybe should be Jill and Jack, as Jill came first and was 20g larger than Jack!) They're so sweet!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the healthy babies!

It's probably not a common pairing. The reason being unless you get good wraps out of every kit the ebony in the pairing is likely to dirty the bellies of any violets, standards, or blacks you get out of the pairing (and future pairings as ebony gene IS carried) and they wouldn't likely perform well on the show table, but some of the kits could be useful breeding tools.

Personally I think two mutes is enough in a pairing - any more than that and you tend to have a hard time preserving quality.

Depends on your goals for your program...I don't dabble in violets/sapphires currently so I would not say I am an expert on working with them. There's a lot to consider besides just color outcomes, but strictly color speaking:

If the goal is to get more/darker violet wraps, I would pair a violet wrap to an ebony violet carrier.

If you want tov violets it will take a little longer and more animals/space - I would pair your black to a violet (no ebony), get some carriers (hope for black velvets!) and take them back to standard v/c. If there was enough size, possibly back to a violet.

If you want tov violet wraps, you could use the current set up and breed carriers back to violets/violet carriers or you could breed a tov violet carrier to wrap violet or ebony violet carrier.

My eyes are heavy hopefully this makes sense!

Last edited:
Updated Pics of Jack and Jill

They still have 20g between them but at almost 2 weeks old Jack is at 83g and Jill at 100g! Seems like mom is doing great by them huh!

Attachments

• Jack.jpg
    Jack.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Jill.jpg
    Jill.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
Back