My family's new rescue dog is really sick :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

6A54B063-3BD6-4479-B56E-8CA299C1C5B5-724-0000017F161DA819.jpg

Meet Scoobie. My dad surprised me this past weekend with a visit to the humane society after losing my old girl. We adopted the little guy above. He had been found as a stray, and adopted out once before, but returned because he was "too hyper". He is about six years old. They told us he is an American Eskimo/husky.

He had his first vet visit Monday. Blood work was done, and urine and fecal tested. His urine showed protein in the urine. His kidneys are showing stage 2 kidney problems. My vet ran another $300 worth of test today to try and pinpoint what is wrong with my family's dog.

Scoobie has not eaten since we brought him home. My vet said to feed him whatever he will eat until we find out what is going on. If he drinks too fast he throws up everything he ate prior.

I contacted the humane society and told them what was going on. I'm not sure if they can help us in any way. We really wanted to rescue a dog, but never thought a rescued dog would be so sick in less then a week of having him. He had been seen by two vets prior, but neither had picked up issues my vet found within days of adoption.

He also has a fist sized fatty tumor we knew about before adoption. And his teeth are bad. But first we have to get him healthy and eating again before tackling those issues.

I was heartbroken to learn he was so sick, after just losing my girl to cancer.

I have had several people tell me and my family "you can take him back".

2BAEAB6D-1202-4115-AD17-7A9F60F1BBD4-724-0000017F071202E7.jpg

I couldn't live with myself if we gave up on this guy. They seemed shocked when I say that isn't an option. We adopted him, and he is now part of the family.

He is currently curled up at my feet, in my bed, sleeping. He has been sleeping there since his first night home. He thinks he owns my bed.

I also call him: Scooby-doo, and Scoobs.

He is a love bug.

He is actually drinking. He drinks alot. Right now the only food he won't turn his nose up at is cooked chicken.

He was hovering around the stove when it was being cooked :p

My mom has actually read up on kidney failure in dog's. Her 12 year old shihtzu has stage three.

This little guy is worth it though. At the vet's office they love him. He demands belly rubs from everyone.

I'm hoping once we have a diagnosis it can put my fears to rest.

It's just so soon to be caring for another sick dog. It's frustrating.

I would suggest getting back with the Humane Society.Tell them that you are more than willing to provide what essentially is a foster home for him instead of surrendering him back.Under foster care,the HS can help you access vet care through their network of vets at a small cost(if any at all,alot of times donations are directed to pet care.You might also ask if they could contact your vet and arrange a lower cost care for Scooby directly with them.This way Scooby and the HS both benefit.Scobby gets a loving foster home for life and the HS doesn't have to provide housing,food, a loving home.

was he checked for lyme disease? I know lyme can cause kidney issues

He's a cutie! I hope you can find out what his issues are

The humane society called my dad and wants him to contact him with the test results when they come back. Scoobie still isn't eating much, but he is eating. Mostly cooked chicken. We pretty much have to shove it in his face :/.

The fostering idea is good, but then I become afraid he won't legally be ours. We want him. We don't want to give him up.

I'm not sure what blood test my vet ran, but he did a large variety.

We went to a humane society in PA, but live in MD. I called my local humane society to see if they knew of any programs that helped with rescued pets vet bills.

They asked me how long my family had had him and mentioned most humane societies allowed you to bring dog's back within a certain time frame. They also suggested cheaper vets. I wouldn't go to a cheaper vet to save money ( although at this point I owe my parents a few hundred for Scoobie's vet bills). We have been using our vet for 15 years.

Im getting tired of people saying I can take this guy back. My family loves him. It's not like buying something that is broken and returning it. It's aggravating how hard it is for people I have talked to to understand that.

Scoobie is snoring in my ear right now :p

Oh my goodness Reenee. I didn't know all this was going on. We need to catch up. Hope scooby is ok. :/ I understand. Once you bond with an animal it's hard to just send them back like they are just a shirt that's too small. :/ good luck!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I am so sorry if you mis-interpreted my suggestion to get up with the HS. I was just thinki that they might be agreeable to let you keep him under foster care while he is being diagnosed and treated.Many times shelters will do this esp since he is from there.Around here fosters pretty much are always allowed to keep a special needs animal.then after his is better, the foster family is given first choice if/when he is well enough to go back up for adoption. I don't know what policy your hs has.

i

You are meant for each other then. For better or for worse. What may be hard for you is fantastic for Scooby...so glad he has a loving family. Good luck with his DX. Hugs for him!

His prognosis is poor. Some level in his kidneys is 15, it's supposed to be less than one. Waiting on a few more test, but odds are he isnt going to make it.

He is on four different meds now.

I also picked up my girl's ashes again.

I will never adopt from a humane society again.

I will never adopt from a humane society again.

I am so sorry you are going through this Renee! my heart does go out to you, and Scoobie.

but remember, adopting from the humane society/pound/a rescue is the best thing you can do for an animal that may otherwise not get a second chance at a loving family and a good home. i will always choose a 'previously experienced' pet over one from a breeder or pet store. not all of these pets have health issues, and although your experience has made you think badly of adopting, please don't let it keep you from giving an unwanted animal the love it deserves.

I will not adopt again anytime soon. This has jaded me to humane societies. I do not feel they did enough to ensure he was healthy. They adopted out a sick dog who had seen two vets previously. I'm not sure what other routes can be taken.

This has been a horrible experience.

I'm again taking care of a dying dog. I'm wondering if it would be selfish to euthanize depending on the test results. For his sake and mine I do not want to be forcing him to take five pills twice a day if he has no chance of recovering.

His kidneys are so damaged my vet does not feel has long. He is not eating. His stools are loose and dark in color. He is throwing up.

Nobody should go through losing two dog's in one month.

I've made the choice to have him euthanized tomorrow. He is throwing up and has diarrhea. The humane society will cremate him in a private cremation for free and let us have his ashes.

I am so sorry :(. Maybe he was waiting to find his forever home to truly show how sick he was but I find it really upsetting that the HS didn't find such a significant health issue. In the future you may want to look into breed specific rescues...they are often much more thorough. Take care of yourself..losing two beloved pets so close together is just terrible :(

big hugs Renee!

i think Scoobie knows you love him, even though his time with you has been short. He knows that with you is a safe place to say goodbye, and he waited for that.

Scoobie got to feel your love before it was his time to go. How special is that for him? I know this is incredibly hard for you, once again, but you made Scoobie's final days special.

Thanks everyone. He is curled up next to me right now. My dad wants to wait, but I don't think we should.

He looks terrible.

We've only had him a week, but it seems like so much more.

When he goes has nothing to do with what your Dad thinks. It is up to the pup. And yes, he has no quality of life now. I'm so sorry. I really am

Scoobie still gets up to go the bathroom, and walks around the house. But the spark he had in his eyes the first two days we had him is gone. When he looks at me now it breaks my heart. He looks sad, and unhappy. We thought he was just a lazy dog, but he now seems lethargic. He has thrown up three more times in the past three hours. He does not want to leave my bed.

I don't want tomorrow to come, I don't want to lose him. Sakura was 13 years old, this boy is only six.

We had wanted our vet to put him down, but the humane society offered the free cremation. I want to bring him home, but my dad will not allow for burial in the yard. After incurring vet bills for Scoobie, we can't afford to have a private cremation for him like we did for Sakura.

I'm crying as a write this. Ive never felt this type of pain before with my animals. The idea of losing him is just as hard as losing my dog of 13 years. We had expected to have him for years to come, not a week.

Thanks for the support everyone, it means alot.

I'm snuggling Scoobers alot right now, saying goodbye.

Back