My chins want out of cage, what do I do?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinnmyheart

As some of you might know that I just got my chins the past Saturday. Now is day 3, for them.

On day 2 and 3 my girls great me at the door. And they had attempted to jump out of the cage..

I keep telling them no, no not yet..

What do I do??

I know I was told to wait to get use to their surroundings. But why do they feel so comfortable to come out now???

Leave them in the cage and give them more time. At this point it would probably frighten them to let them out. It isn't that they want out right now it's that you are going to have to chase them around the room trying to round them up. I don't want you to completely lose their trust so early on in them being there with you. It's best to not rush it at this point. If you want to hold them, you can or you can pet them while they are in the cage and let them crawl on your hands...but please don't let them out to run around on the floor right now.

Chinchillas... especially my baby girls... *always* seem to want out. They are curious about everything. Plus they are little daredevils and escape artists. Just because your chin wants out doesn't mean it understands what it wants or will be happy once out. My girls want out to point Pixie will jump from the doors on the top level of my FN if I do not stop her and both of them are perfectly willing to escape the bottom doors if I am not careful. When you do decide it is time to let your chins out make sure your girls are comfortable with you handling them, at least to some extent. Many chins don't like being picked up so it's okay if they still do not like that so long as they aren't freaking out once in your hands. You might also try getting them to climb into a carrier for transport on their own if the playroom isn't in the same room as the cage or get them to climb into the dustbath and block the opening. It's much harder to do with two chinchillas than with one. And extra pair of hands during playtime might also be helpful. Someone to hold one girl while you get the other. I'd give them at least a few weeks though to get use to you and settled in.

Latest posts

Back