My chinchilla is pooping clusters of poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchandChilla

Chinch and Chilla
At first I thought it was just a light case of diarehea, so I fed twice as much hay as usual. Stopped feeding treats completely (Didn't feed her that many treats to begin with). . .she has a good supply of water that is changed each day.

I noticed this 2 days ago that her poo was softer than usual. So I did all the above. But now. . .her poo is really soft, is clustered together like a ball, and has a mucus on it?

It's time to take her to the vet?

Bloat can cause that problem also, does the belly feel hard as a rock or doughy? Have you seen any stretching or twisting? Hold the chins belly up to your ear and listen-do you hear loud pops and snaps or soft gurgling?

Well, she went in already. Which was earlier than tuesday morning, and I do realize how quickly they go downhill.

The good news, is that everything is good with her physically. No bloat, no memmers, no pnuemonia or anything. I got a poop smeer done and will hear the results back in a few hours, which is really good. I have already sanitized the cage incase it is gardia. Here's to hoping it's not.

Bad news, turns out she has a bacterial infection. I was unable to go to back to the clinic today because I was at work, argh! But I'm going there first thing tomorrow morning to pick up the antibiotics and to find out more about the infection. She didn't tell me exactly what it was.

Wish my Chinch luck! I'll be praying for her. I won't let anything BUT recovery happen to her.

Got the medicine today. It's Metronidazole 100mg. It's not Gardia! Thank goodness. But it still is an over growth of the healthy bacteria. Got her medication chart all made. SO. . .Now she should be on the way to recovery. Do you happen to know if the metronidazole needs refrigeration?

It would be best to put it in the fridge. Still, medicating for overgrowth of healthy bacteria is usually not necessary, but I don't know what the results were from the vet. You really need to be giving the chin lots of probiotic. I would suggest giving her some in critical care, sprinkling it over her food and just making sure she takes a good amount in everyday. That will help to balance out the bacteria and get things moving along as they should be again. Also, lots and lots of good grass hay like timothy hay would be extremely helpful to her.

She definitely has lost her appetite, and I think she's mad at me for inserting the medicine into her mouth. I feel like our bonding might be ruined :'(

For hand feeding, what should I do? Do I just put the food into my hand? What if she still doesn't eat it? I'm going to try it again.

hand feeding needs to be done with a syringe and a wet mixture of food. Critical Care is often used for hand feeding. i haven't had to do any handfeeding with Rhino (knock on wood!), but others should chime in soon with their advice. searching the forum for 'hand feeding' should bring up some good information too.

My Chinch has been less active since she started her meds. She hasn't even run on her wheel once. The Vet said if she doesn't improve in 2 days, that I should definitely take her back. I do agree. Absolutely. But does anyone know if maybe she is just feeling ill from the meds? Stomach ache? It's only been day one. . .so maybe it's too early to tell? I'm just so worried. I gave her some of her pellets and she was eating them, should I be concerned about syringe feeding yet?

The flagyl can cause nausea and since chins cannot vomit they can be miserable. When I am using a drug that causes nausea in a chin and I am seeing a issue I request benadryl to counteract it. Weigh the chin every day, if she is eating pellets and you are not seeing loss then wait, but if you are seeing loss then start hand feeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfRkg5sJ2QU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojnhTOu43dk

I have started hand feeding today. She is a very feisty little chinchilla, so it was a bit difficult as first, but she seems to like the Critter care formula. I think she should start feeling better very soon. They also gave me some medicine for her stomach, which should also help.

Btw! Thanks for all your help, and that is one amazing chinchilla set up you have there. Also, the training you have done with your chinch, is very impressive!

Back