My chinchilla has Stasis!!! Need advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's pooing! I looked in the bottom of her cage and I found some poos! 5!! :D :D I'm so happy! Yay!

Is she getting anything for gas? Stasis can cause bad gas issues. Gas can make it as hard to pass things as anything else. If not she could be given baby gas drops to help her with that issue. Congrats on the poop. Hopefully she'll keep it up.

So happy to hear about the poos!!!!

Keep doing what you're doing with handfeeding, warm compresses, etc. Not trying to be a "Debbie Downer", but you're not out of the woods yet.

I'll continue to think good thoughts for you and little Bubbles.

Only 1 or 2 poos today! :'( Think this is the last straw- She's sqeaking! I don't know if that's her wanting me, because she's quiet when she's getting her cuddles or it's because she's in a bit of pain! I'm demanding for an x ray tomorrow! This is too heart breaking :(

She actually ate from the syringe without me forcing her! Brightened my day! :D

Last edited:
Just incase noone can open that link!! :D :crazy:

Attachments

• bubbly Bum!.jpg
    bubbly Bum!.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 32
So sweet! :heart5:

I see she's eating from a 1mL syringe. Have you not been able to find the 10mL oral syringes? Feeding will go much faster with a 10mL, especially now that she's eating willingly from the syringe. If you can't find it at a drugstore or grocery store, your vet should have them.

When I was handfeeding Romeo, I bought about 6 of the 10mL size, and would fill each of them up before I sat down for a feeding session. Then when he had finished one syringe, I would just pick up the next one. Makes feeding easier and faster!

I did find one, but my vet said at this critical point the 1ml syringe is for the best as she can't have a lot of food in one go. It has to be a little every 2 to 3 hours. Also, one question- she seems to be making this little squeaking noise? She hasn't done it since she's been lay on me, but it sounds sad :( I even cried after I heard her do it and then snuggled closer into me. She's also sniffing, I think?? I'm not sure if its a sniff, but it does look like it! My poor baby is so ill, its breaking my heart :/

Buddy - Here's a link to the different noises that chins make...there used to be a better resource, but that site is down: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Chinchilla_Sounds.aspx

Some of the noises are mislabeled. For instance track 4, which is labeled "angry" is not actually an anger noise, it's their main communication noise. Track 7 "wehmut" is also a communication noise. Are either of those similar to the noise she's making?

Well it sounds like "Be Quiet" and the last one there. It's a little sadder than "be quiet" its not angry or any other :/
Also, vet admitted her today. Took her for an xray as there's nothing else we can do for her- we've tried everything :( She's really bloated- so now there's loads of gas in her gut. It's literally stopped working :'(
I'm not sure what he's going to do, but I just hope it helps her out :(

Take comfort in knowing you are trying to do everything possible for your little one.You have sought vet care/second opinions/treatments and of course given lots of loving care along with everything else.We continue to pray for you and your little one.:)

I just rang the vet. She's had her xray. There's no blockage. Her gut is full of gas. She's apparently on countless of injections. She's staying there for today and maybe over night. They said basically that her gut has just stopped working :/
I really hope that it isn't my fault. The gut only stops working if chins havn't had enough food, and if it's not continuel o.o

The vet said that she's a lot brighter the last time I rang. Not sure if she's coming home tonight though. Deffinitely coming home on saturday though because that's when they close for the weekend! So hopefully I get to see her soon! This is the longest I've been without her, so quiet in my room! Haha. They said she's doing really well though, and she's not fighting the syringe anymore for them which is great news. So excited to get her back! Ill let you know how she is doing when I get her home :)

Okay, Bubbles is now home! Seems like she's got a lot of her meds all over her! But she's weed! She even took something out of her food bowl and tried to eat it :D She doesn't like me much right now though but she seems a lot better than what she was! Vet said she has been pooing :) She's on Protexin Fibreplex, Emeprid and Professional Protexin :)

Back