My chinchilla has Stasis!!! Need advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can chincillas be sick? I think she was just sick!?

No, chinchillas cannot vomit but they can spit food out.

How is she doing now?

Ah that's okay then. She seemsto be doing something with her bum, and then spitting something out of her mouth. Is it poo?? Her poo and wee seems to be going over her fur, because the vets left her in such a mes and she's not letting me clean her. Hopefully she cleans herself.
It could be dyarea that she's spitting out? :S

If its runny poop then I would be very concerned about what the vet was feeding her. I don't leave my chins at a clinic unless the vet actually knows what their doing.. I've had a so called 'exotics vet' demand I feed my stasis chin yogurt and baby food. And would have likely given her both had I left her with them...

She's eating recovery syringe food. I trust the vet, because she went there in a pretty critical condition and came home in a very good condition. Trying to eat her own proper food and playing about in her cage. She seems to have her appitite back she's just not too keen on eating her own food by herself just yet. But I guess that does take time. She's getting there through time and patience, I'm more proud of her than ever :)
Her poos aren't as wet as they were, but she sees the vet again tomorrow so I'll let him know. :D

Thanks everyone for all your advice and help! Bubbles was taken to the vets today and she was there for about 2 minutes! He said he was overwhelmed with how well she's done and how fast she has recovered, it was very touch and go but the little one pulled through.
She still has what's causing it, but hopefully she'll carry on getting better :) She's seem to be getting back to normal slowly. She jsut woke up and pushed her dish to the ground of her cage haha
Thank you so much everyone!!

:clap: Way to go! You did a great job pulling her through a very serious situation. Well done :bowdown:

Bubbles is eating a little!

Picture of my little soldier eating some of her food! She picked up 4 pieces of her food and ate it! Such a fighter.
:D
I don't think this thread is much of an emergancy now, so if you want to move it to somewhere else? I do think that it gives good advice to those who are in the same position. So may move it to Health or something?
Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• eating.jpg
    eating.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21
I would just like to tell you all that Bubbles is doing fantastic! Back to eating her own food and drinkign again! Still wanting syringe food, but I'm attempting to get her off that :)
Thank you again for everyones help and advice. I would never have gotten her through it without it!
I'm so happy that my little girl has gotten over this horrible ordeal! :D
x

Buddy, I'd keep Bubbles on syringe food a while longer. If she's still in the 300 gram range personally I'd handfeed until I got her in the 500 gram range. 300 is really low and she's not going to gain that fast on just a typical pellet. Alternately you could see about purchasing one of the great supplements people on here sell. There are several designed to fatten chinchillas up but they're a solid food so she'd be eating on her own. You could offer it along with a pellet. I just think with her being like she was you want to get some serious weight on her or you might lose her if anything else comes around.

Oh okay, she was never 300 grams though, that must have been a completely different chin on this forum :S
I'll tell you how much she weighs when I weigh her later on today.
Who would sell that stuff on here??
I just ran out of syringe food, so I'll go out and buy some more today. Doesn't look like she's eaten through the night so I guess she's still not up to eating :(

I live in the UK, can I still buy from these websites?? They're all USA.

Bubbles is .4.9KG. I don't know what that is in Grams? I do know that it isn't very good :(
She's eating 60 CC a day tho :/ So she shouldn't weigh so little. She should be just over 5KG so hopefully by next week she'll be my fat little girl again :D

Back