My Chin Seems to like Sunlight??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Hi, I have been noticing at 4pm everyday this week, my chin "Chip" goes up to the top ledge in our huge QC Chin Mansion and goes to sleep facing out the window. It is like he wants to bask in the sunlight and/or maybe lookout. Is this normal?

Before you reply, know that I am quite aware of the temperature needs of a chin. We live by the beach and the weather is cool, and it is not summer. I have a blind on the window that blocks the sun when closed, and he has the option to go down to the bottom level of the chinchilla 5 foot tall cage, where no sunlight is, or even go into his shady box to sleep. Which he does during the rest of the day, but not when I open the blind.

But if I open the blind in the afternoon to get some light in the room for my son's homework, he goes up to that ledge and basks in the sunlight asleep. We don't let him do it too long, and close the shade.

I know that my dogs do that too. They find any splash of sunlight and lay in it all around the house and yard, and it seems Chip is doing that too?

Is this common...I know typically sunlight is a no-no.

Would love to hear if anyone experiences this too, it's the oddest thing.

here's a picture:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 61
  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 59
Yep, my female chin often sits in the sun in the early morning. I used to close the shade and cover her cage but I think it must feel good as she's back there every morning.

Mine will do this, as well. It isn't a problem. It isn't like you're taking the cage outside in the yard and putting it in the sun! Chinchillas sometimes will really enjoy the rays of sunlight...that's pretty normal. Just make sure that the temperature is right and everything should be fine.

I think as long as he has plenty of shady places to hide and the window doesn't heat up the whole area near his cage some daylight is healthy. I'm sure he would move away from the light if he started getting too warm. ^^

Remember, Chinchillas are crepuscular, not nocturnal. It's usual for them to wake up and enjoy both the day and the night. That being said, some chins really enjoy sunbathing, others no...

Ok, good to know. it is such a cute and funny thing to see, him asleep there is the sunshine. Same bat time, same bat channel everyday!

My Gizmo loves to sleep in the sun too, okay I'm in England so actually doesn't get that hot, but he enjoys a little sunbathing : ) yes yes there is plenty of water and shade around in the cage too.

Latest posts

Back