my chin is lonely..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliciaa75

I've been thinking about getting her (pheobe) a friend so she isnt so lonely when I'm at work and someone else to play with. I give her attention all the time she just still seems very lonely or sad. This is my last option plus, ive been wanting to get another chin for a while. Pheobe is a girl and shes about 2 yrs old. Ive had her for a year now..should I get another girl chin? any advice here?

Thanks!!

My first question is, how do you know she's lonely? Is she off her feed? Losing weight? Not playing when you take her out of the cage?

My second comment is that there is absolutely no way to guarantee that she will tolerate a cage mate. You can definitely try to introduce her, but make sure that you are prepared to have a separate cage for the new arrival in case they don't get along. Also realize that whether they get along or not, you made a commitment by bringing that chin home. You made that choice, the chin didn't. If they don't get along, I would be sad to see an add in the classifieds "chin for sale, doesn't get along with my chin." You will be warned by everyone on this forum that that is a very real possibility. So if you are prepared to have two cages, are able to afford vet care for another animal, etc., then give it a try. Also know that even if they do get along, you will still have to keep that cage on hand because there are chins who can get along for years and then they suddenly turn on each other. More than one chin equals more than one cage on hand.

As tunes has said, how do you know? If your chin is eating and still excited about playtime and the items in the cage, then they are fine. You can for sure try introductions, but I've read several people on here say they've only had one in ten or no introductions work :(

I'd hate for your chin to become anxious or get into a fight because you assumed it was lonely when she was perfectly happy. Chins that have been alone for long periods of time usually just prefer to be alone; other chins can throw off their groove and they can fight, sometimes to the death. Pay close attention to what tunes says, she's an expert and has been around the block when it comes to these things :)

Ask yourself: do YOU want another chin or is your chin actually lonely? Can you afford two cages, two vet bills, and so on? If the answer to the last one is yes, go for it and I wish you all the luck in the world :)

Last edited:
Sorry to be out on my own here, but I find that female chins really do love having a friend. It makes my life easier to find them a buddy because it gives my girls a social life that they would have otherwise not had. Sure, chins can be alone, but females seem to love having a friend around to groom and snuggle with. There are a few girls that just won't get along with anyone, but for the most part they are preprogrammed to want to have other females around.

I have a much harder time with males or with male and female pairs getting along. Here 95% of the time I put females together with no issues and it helps to enhance their lives. Older females do better with other female for sure, I really do believe that it extends their lives. If introduced properly and with care, there is no reason to not adopt a little girl for another female to be around. It may take a bit to get them together, but is worth the try. If it were for another male chin, I'd say to just keep your current male alone....

Susan - Yes, some females prefer a buddy, but just as many don't. You say "it's worth a try." I basically said the same thing while pointing out that the OP needs to have two cages if they don't get along. It's better to have the person informed by giving information from both sides of the issue.

Of course, they need to have two cages...that isn't even an issue. :) But, it is worth trying and it will probably work out just fine. There are always risks with introducing chins, but that doesn't mean that the idea should be thrown out completely. I wasn't really trying to say your advice was wrong, it was the post after yours. Didn't mean to say you were saying anything wrong, often this is just all a matter of opinion or actual experience. If it was a male, I would say something different.

I have maybe one out of 18 or 20 that won't get along with anyone. (I remember getting told off for saying that even that low of occurance was the norm...way back in maybe 2003 or 2004 before you were around. It made me wonder what I was doing wrong that ALL of my females weren't getting along.) Most females will get along with other females. Right now I only have one by herself out of all the chins here...I may just be lucky, I don't know.

I have a bonded pair and a solo chin. When I brought home my bonded pair I tried to introduce Shelly (my solo chin) to the younger chin. She wanted nothing to do with her. Shelly tried to attack my other chin. Shelly has been alone for 3 years now. She'd been solo for about two years before I brought in the newer pair. You can try to bring in a friend, but be prepared if it does not work out. In the three years I've owned Shelly she had never bit me. That changed when I had her and Button out together. The reason I was bit, was because, I stopped an attack from happening. Personally, I will never try to bond chins again. My pair were already bonded when they came to me.

Getting a new chin is up to you. It might work, it might not. Not all chins want a cagemate.

I have had a ton of issues pairing up chins. It works as much as it doesn't. Be aware chins can kill cagemates. I have seen it happen and its not pretty. 2 cages are a must to start and be prepared for it to be perminent just in case thing don't work out.

My chin is about 8 years old and has always been a single chin from what I know, and she is far from lonely. Chins lay around and sleep for a good part of the day and night, most of what they do is probably while your sleeping. My girl goes nuts and starts popcorning around the cage as soon as I turn off my light. When I wake up it looks like a tornado went through her cage.

You CAN have just one chin, they don't other companions to be happy when they have you :)

Thank you everyone. Maybe pheobe is happy being alone. I mean shes been eating a healthy diet and she seems to perk up when I get home from work (I work afternoons) but I dunno, maybe i need to shoe her just a wee bit more attention bc I do see her sitting on her ledge looking at me.
But yes. Some mornings when i wake up it looks like a tornado has gone through her cage as well haha! But i appreciate everyone's comments and advice. I know introducing chins is a sketchy thing to try, but I'm not so sure if she will like her cagemate. But maybe one day I will get her one and I know that ill neef an extra cage and all of that, its no problem.

I have been pairing same sex chins for over 15 years and have very little problems. Yes, you DEFINITELY need to be prepare that it won't work because it certainly does happen. The best pairing I have found is with an adult and a young kit - less problems (even with male pairings) I prefer chins to have a chin friend. I also have/had chins that really hate other chins and one could NEVER pair them.

It was just a thought to get her a friend for when im gone so she isn't by herself. But ill think about it more. But thank you for your response. My friend had two chins, a female and a male and they were perfectly fine. The female was nervous around new people and the male was very social. But ill think about it some more and go from there haha

Another factor to consider is if you do get a chinmate, then your chins will probably pay less attention to you since they have another chin to have fun with...

I also heard stories about supposedly 'bonded' chins that suddenly get into fights one day and worse even causing death. Not sure why that happens and it may or may not be rare, but for me (personally), I wouldn't want to take the chance as I'm not an expert re the issue of having 2 chins.

Yea, ive been thinking about that and I dont think i would want to risk any animals lives. Pheobe seems pretty content by her self with just me

Latest posts

Back