My Bunnies are Getting Fixed Today... (Right Thing but Feeling Sad...)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkkjstwcl

Sorry for talking about my bunnies a lot lately (instead of chin topics), but just wanted write a few lines about my feeling this morning over my bunnies' getting fixed at Washington DC Neuter/Spay place.

Some of you guys suggested that I fix them because there are so many unwanted rabbits out there. Also, I could't possibly find babies good homes, if they were born. Giving them away, adopting them out, etc will NEVER assure their happiness for their entire life.

I totally agee. I have two other buns that had been fixed before the arrived. Today is the first day, in which I am getting my buns fixed. I have been postponing to do this because I had been "feeling bad" for them, you know, thinking about the unknown and painful surgery that they will have to face.
But, I am taking the action, finally.

I would like to hear some encouraging words saying how important fixing our pets and how it will contribute to their happiness.

Thank you for reading...

I fix all of the animals in my house or have just single sex animals. It is very important and definitely the right thing to do to have our pets spayed and neutered. They will probably be much calmer bunnies because they are fixed and it may prevent some illnesses and cancers. Your bunnies will be fine. Let us know how they are when you get them home.

I agree that if you have both males and females together, then they should be fixed. Their discomfort will be minimal and short-lived, but they will have a lifetime of being healthier bunnies who can coexist playfully, and not have to worry about the possibilities of being parents, and the problems that can be faced if something goes wrong during the pregnancy or labor. You won't have to face the prospect of having to rehome the babies, and wondering if they went to the right homes. You won't have to worry about the money you might have to have on hand if an emergency trip to the vet were to occur if something happened to the pregnant female during labor...We fix our dogs, cats, even our chins, so why not bunnies? It is the right thing to do and I wish them the best of luck that it will all go smoothly for them!

People neuter animals all the time. Unless you intend to be a breeder and breed for the right reasons, and with care, there is no point in having unaltered animals running around overpopulating the earth and not being cared for.

I've had dogs, cats, rabbits, rats, all kinds of animals neutered and they worry about it a lot less than we do. They don't anticipate it beforehand, they don't dread it, because they have no idea it's coming. I can't imagine why you would feel sad for them. They aren't going to miss anything except the females losing the opportunity to develop cancer and the males being incredibly frustrated because they can't breed with a female right next door.

Why do you need validation for your actions if you already know it's the right thing to do?

Well, you never feel like you could use some encouragement when you just feel down? Or don't you ever assure somebody that things are/will be fine?
Any "operation/surgery" to anybody/any living things that are close to me accompanys some feelings, even if it is a minor or necessary procedure. It seems natural, at least to me. Well, I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel not as strong as I should be even when I know that I am doing a right thing. I guess some people don't...

Last edited:
I didn't mean to be rude, I was just curious why. I have worried about my pets when under anesthesia, yes, but they've always been under for a good reason, and thankfully so far for nothing more serious than a spay/neuter.

I also don't think I've ever been depressed or down about taking my animals in for a speuter because it's in their best interest...

Haha, did you just make up that word?

OP-Just think of how much more you would be worrying if you didn't get them neutered. Getting animals neutered is extremely important in general, in most normal pet cases. In all my animal science classes every teacher really stressed that. I don't know the specific medical advantages in rabbits, but at least for cats and dogs it is significantly beneficial to their health (for both males and females). It eliminates testicular, ovarian and usually uterine (depending on what is removed) diseases, reduces prostate diseases, and immensely reduces mammary cancer (in females). Plus, there are no pregnancy complications to potentially deal with. Those are the things I can remember from class about canine and feline neutering and I'm sure there are at least some similar benefits in a lot of different species.

I know you may not have had any pregnancies if you didn't neuter your rabbits since you would be careful and avoid interactions between males and females, but the benefits of neutering really do outweigh the risk of surgery on a normally healthy animal. And you'll be setting a good example to anyone you know who wants to own rabbits, or pets in general.

Actually, I never worry about spaying and nuetering my pets. I always feel a sense of great relief once they are home that the job is done and I don't have to worry about it any more.

Back